FDA Rules NMN to be a Drug Not a Supplement

In theory, yes. The higher the dose the better the protection from the studies i have seen, though it depends in type of cancer. Not all cancers are mitigated.

1 Like

I am yet to see any stoppage of NMN sales?

Give it time. Sometimes the FDA issues these edicts but either doesn’t enforce them or first sends out warning letters to manufacturers.

1 Like

Yes, we can all thank David Sinclair for this one. After numerous attempts, no research institute could replicate his resveratrol study results. Essentially, he sold the industry snake oil. Rather than leaving silently he’s doubling down on his snake oil concoction and has successfully lobbied to take out access to NMN, the more evidence based & replicated leader converted into NR+ as needed for NAD. He’s holding longevity supps users hostage to make him relevant again. He can’t patent NMN, but he can backdoor restrict access in US to it by submitting the request to explore it as an active drug component. It’s genius because it wasn’t used widespread enough to overrule the lobbyists request. However, now any use will only be approved via his studies or with a prescription for company to fulfill. He’s removed from the longevity enthusiast’s toolbox. Now we just need to forget it existed and act surprised when his company wins awards for their drug doing all the things we knew NMN was found and suspected of doing. Also the price will be stupid expensive and we won’t be able to regulate the purity intake as easily. The :us: takes care of big business so this shouldn’t be a surprise.

2 Likes

You are probably correct. But based on the opinions of several longevity experts including Peter Attia and Matt Kaeberlein, and the results of the ITP trial, I don’t think longevity seekers will be missing anything that is particularly valuable if they do without NAD, NMN and related compounds

4 Likes

Even if it were classified as a drug, it can still be OTC, like aspirin, dextrometorphan (antitussive), or tylenol.

NMN doesn’t help your epigenetic age. I tested it on myself. It probably doesn’t extend lifespan. It’s great for overcoming jet lag or recovering from too little sleep. It provides energy to many people, so they think it’s good for them. It’s over-hyped but I still use it because I fall into the too little sleep category. For most of you, it’s probably not worth it. Stick with Rapamycin. I’d even say Omega-3s are better for your health.

1 Like

This video explains that the link between NMN NR supplements and breast cancer is not high. The researchers took active breast cancer cells and injected them into the mice hearts. Gosh, I wonder what will happen…

1 Like

Discussion on NR study here:

In a perfect world, rapamycin will improve the immune system sufficiently to be protective against cancer. One reason cancer increases with age could be that our immune response decreases. We have cancer cells all the time that the body clears before they develop.

I think the best way to describe what Metro Biotech is doing with respect to NMN is complying with applicable law and asking other companies to do likewise. That’s quite different than trying to capture the market for themselves. I seriously doubt that NMN was widely marketed prior to 1994. As such, it is subject to different regulation. I’m not surprised to see a shrill, Brad Stanfield video, however. But none of this is attributable to David Sinclair or Metro Biotech.

The FDA announced that they were going to more closely regulate supplements in 2019. A move unrelated to NMN.

https://www.fda.gov/news-events/press-announcements/statement-fda-commissioner-scott-gottlieb-md-agencys-new-efforts-strengthen-regulation-dietary