Favourite Exercise Hacks

This sounds very powerful, e.g:

When the SPU was tested, the whole-body effects on blood chemistry included a 52% improvement in the excursion of blood glucose (sugar) and 60% less insulin requirement over three hours after ingesting a glucose drink.

The new approach of keeping the soleus muscle metabolism humming is also effective at doubling the normal rate of fat metabolism in the fasting period between meals, reducing the levels of fat in the blood (VLDL triglyceride).

Has anyone done any testing to see if these results are real? Given the magnitude they claim seems like some N=1 experiments pick up the effects.

I have only tried standing SPUs, about one set of 60 per day. I can tell you that my calves definitely feel stronger and I am pretty sure it has improved my balance. Given that many fatalities in humans begin with a fall, having stronger calves and balance would increase lifespan. Also, it’s darn easy to do a set of 60 SPUs while standing.

Now, to get the amazing metabolic effects, I think you need to be sitting and doing SPUs for hours on end. I don’t have the time for that as it is distracting.

1 Like

This is great @Phil_Van_Treuren . I’m def gonna try some of them like the ones while brushing ones teeth and driving.

You say you do a lot of other things too, can you share some of those too?

1 Like

Usually just 1 x 120 or 150 meters. If you run it at about 95% that’s plenty.

1 Like

I do these things every weekday . . . it looks like a lot, but it probably takes 15 minutes total:

• 99 pushups (33 in morning, 33 at lunch, 33 at night)
  • 99 hand grip squeezes
  • 25 calf raises (while brushing teeth)
  • 25 weighted sit ups
  • 12 pull ups
  • 12 leg extensions
  • 12 seated rows
  • 12 standing barbell military press
  • 12 barbell squats
  • 12 barbell deadlifts
  • 12 barbell bicep curls

I also do this stuff every weekday:

4 Likes

Thank you @Phil_Van_Treuren

2 Likes

Think I’m going to play with this a bit. Thanks @Ryan_McCarter

1 Like

Good luck. Over the past couple years I’ve started to prioritize fundamental movement skills, as well as emphasizing running and various jumps in my workouts. At the same time, I’ve drastically reduced my volume of weight lifting for my lower body. At age 38, I can honestly say I’ve never moved better or felt better, and I almost never have heavy weights on my back, which really saves my back and knees a lot of wear and tear.

3 Likes

Anyone planning on hitting one of the Normandy GoRuck events on June 1st?