Ezetimibe Reduces Alzheimer's Disease Risk (study)

A study I posted earlier (possibly on another thread?) showed that taking ezetimibe at least 4 hours apart from vitamin E prevented the inhibition of vit E absorption, so it would make sense that the same would be true of ALA. I now take my ezetimibe at night, since I put ground flax seed and walnuts in my morning smoothie (both rich in ALA). Also another study showed no inhibition of EPA or DHA, so if you take fish or krill oil, it shouldn’t be a problem.

4 Likes

Saudi-Egyptian paper and animal model but still interesting when combined with the AD finding above: Repurposing ezetimibe as a neuroprotective agent in a rotenone-induced Parkinson’s disease model in rats: Role of AMPK/SIRT-1/PGC-1α signaling and autophagy 2024

3 Likes

Also an Egyptian paper so might not be of high quality, and it’s an animal model but: Ezetimibe protects against Gentamycin-induced ototoxicity in rats by antioxidants, anti-inflammatory mechanisms, and BDNF upregulation

We know that hearing loss is a modifiable risk factor for Alzheimer’s disease. This paper suggests ezetimibe might be protective:

The threat of hearing loss has become a universal reality. Gentamycin (GM) can lead to ototoxicity and may result in permanent hearing loss. This study aimed to elucidate whether the hypolipidemic drug Ezetimibe (EZE) has a possible underlying mechanism for protecting rats from GM-induced ototoxicity.
EZE can safeguard inner ear tissues from GM via antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, and antiapoptotic mechanisms, as well as upregulation of BDNF mechanisms.

2 Likes