Endurance Athletes Using Rapamycin?

Welcome to the forum Racee

Congratulations on qualifying for Boston. Interesting how in yours and partner’s experience, a break from rapamycin caused those symptoms. I can’t see much consistency at how best to use rapamycin for endurance training in this thread.

Any other details to offer such as dosage or supplements you are taking?

That’s interesting. I can’t understand how removal of rapa would cause that but perhaps rapa was masking this side effect from something else you are taking / eating. Then the removal of rapa exposed it. Just a thought.

2 Likes

A lot goes into having a good race, as you know. If this were my N=1 experiment, these would be the questions I’d try to answer before concluding that a performance increase came from rapamycin:

How long have I been a runner? Have I trained seriously and consistently for marathons in the past? How stable was my marathon time in all my previous races?

How did training compare to past races? Did the total volume in the ~16 weeks leading up the race increase, decrease, or stay the same compared to past efforts? Did I start running with a group, or using a coach? Did I do all the same workouts, or start doing more or consistent speed workouts like intervals? Did I do more consistent long runs? Did I do more or different strength workouts, or include plyometric exercises?

How did the race course and altitude compare to past races? Was it the same course as in the past, or did I do all hilly races at altitude previously, before switching to a flat or downhill race at sea level?

Did I fuel better during the race or in training? Did I use super shoes for the first time?

6 Likes

That’s a lot of questions :laughing: :sweat_smile: :laughing:

2 Likes

Yes, the break was interesting indeed! Today, I feel back to normal and I took my last dosage this past Sat. My current dosage is 3mg and have been taking rapa since Jan 2023. I’ve decided to bump myself up to 4mg after my marathon this coming Sunday. I’ve noticed that my HR will be higher (spike during runs) for the first 2 days after taking it so will wait until after my race. This has been consistently happening since the beginning. It’s very noticeable to both myself and partner who is taking 5mg and is also a runner.

Other benefits: I think the rapa has helped me recover faster and my partner says I complain less about hard workouts lol

I had a blood test right before starting it and will take another test again in two weeks so we shall see if there are any changes!

How long have you been on it for??

5 Likes

Hard to say for sure. All I know is that I took my dosage 1 day before my partner and complained about feeling off/dizzy and then he took his the following day and said he felt the same way. Too coincidental if you ask me! Nothing else was different for either of us.

All I know is that I won’t be taking a gap like that again and will stick to 7 days - maybe 10 - but not 12!

2 Likes

I completely agree. So many variables. I think watching for patterns and tuning in as much as you can. Bloodwork as well for comparison. I will be trying my super shoes lol for the first time next weekend, so yeah, it’s hard to really know with certainty. Having said that, I feel like it’s doing something, otherwise, I would have ditched it a while ago.

On it for about 2 years. 1st year was on a compounded version of rapamycin that most likely meant a low dosage as it was not enteric coated. 2nd year on the Zydus or Biocon version. I tend to favor lower doses, particularly when training more intensively. And I take a lot of breaks too - just based on how I feel. Felt it contributed to a good sprint triathlon performance 1st year - not so much the 2nd. My main goal is to keep my strength and endurance levels at a nice plateau as I approach 70 and beyond so I can enjoy an active life. But there is nothing like a personal best when competing with one’s younger self!

4 Likes

another athlete using rapamycin…

8 Likes

@RapAdmin What’s his dosing schedule like? Can you ask?

Whatever his protocol is, it seems to be effective.

2 Likes

His response: " 16mg every 10 days"

4 Likes

48 mg a month. That’s actually quite similar to the high dose I was planning to take. 42 mg a month.

I have recently started running again and find this thread interesting. It’s been quite a few years since I properly trained for and ran a marathon (I ran one in the interim completely untrained with poor results).

Unfortunately I was not tracking HRV prior to starting rapamycin, but I will start tracking it now. Will target a fall 2024 or spring 2025 marathon while maintaining weekly 6mg/week rapamycin dosing.

6 Likes

This is v interesting. I started 4 weeks ago (2mg p/w) and have been wondering about how sluggish I am. My intervals are torture my long run is torture. I don’t even like my short runs. I wonder if my body needs more time to get used to rapo?

1 Like

I started on low dose rapamycin - and I found it delivered strong symptoms. Primarily bad sleep and weird energy levels - good and bad. I found I would just take it by feel. So a lot of breaks of weeks before starting again. Don’t feel you have to live up to any particular dosing schedule. If you are patient over time I imagine you will feel more normal with weekly dosage. My advice is to drop the rapamycin, trust your body and recover fully so your runs are back to normal before starting back on it. Slow-steady wins the race :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I’m currently training for a Marathon on May 5th and I did not stop taking rapamicyn (7mg/week).
My training load for this week is 70km including a 28km long run and I’ve not noticed any adverse effects so far.

6 Likes

In december the hrv4training estimate was still in the 250-260W range. I don’t know if rapamycin helped but it certainly didn’t hinder (taking 4mg+gfj around once per week or so)

2 Likes

Thanks to all posts here I changed my dosing day to after my long run. I now have 2 good rest days after and running has been sorted! Much better. V happy. Tx again.

5 Likes

These are amazing numbers.

I still question the wisdom of endurance athletes using rapamycin especially after reading so many of the forum member’s experience with rapamycin.

There are so many parallels between rapamycin use and long periods of vigorous exercise.
It seems like both heavy periods of exercise and rapamycin can increase chance of infections, drop HRV, increase fatigue, help to reduce weight, suppress m-tor complex, etc. etc. etc.

This makes me question if an athlete can actually draw any additional benefits from using rapamycin.