Dr. Rhonda Patrick - This is The Only Supplement that ACTUALLY Increases Lifespan

FWIW

If you have not seen interview/podcast, in my view worth reviewing.

1 Like

What is the supplement? For those of us who prefer no video…

2 Likes

The supplement is Omega 3 fish oil.

Dr. Patrick is a big fish oil advocate, as am I.

Except I don’t get any sponsorships. :sob: :wink:

9 Likes

Just like Attia and protein. It’s Rhonda Patrick and Omega 3.

10 Likes

Fish oil? Is she serious?
Gawd save us!
No; I haven’t watched the video…

6 Likes

It appears (and I don’t have the references to hand or the time to find them) that certain membranes function better with sufficient Omega 3 (from Fish or Algae and I saw something recently that claimed Algae were better). In one sense it is probably worth looking at the evidence on this, but I take some Omega 3 every day anyway so I am not particularly stressed about checking this out. I don’t think it does any harm, but I would not claim it is the only useful supplement.

10 Likes

The secret to achieve healthspan to 200 years is to take your omega-3 pills in the sauna with a broccoli sprout smoothie. As you get out of the sauna, get some sunlight directly on your skin with no sunscreen. There is no other way, especially with pharmaceuticals.

16 Likes

You forgot the “move to Finland” part.

EDIT: Relative to what seems like thousands of YouTube videos here - it would certainly be helpful for the forum users if the poster would give a brief summary of the important points particularly highlighting any NEW information. I’ve gotten good at quickly skimming through articles and scientific studies to determine if they need a closer look but videos are hard.

9 Likes

and don’t forget the phospholipids !!!

3 Likes

I have difficult time taking Omega 3 fish oil capsules. They give me horrible after taste and even dull abdominal pain. I should probably try switching to omega from algae. Do you have a good brand in mind for that?

Sorry, but i dont have an answer to this

I use Iwi brand, but find I need to separately get their EPA and DHA in order to have sufficient to get my omega 3 index over 8%

6 Likes

Careful…there’s somebody here (@Arhu ) that says all(?) Omega 3 supplements are rancid. It’s just a case where you have to be sure to buy quality (Viva Naturals, Nordic Naturals, among others) and there’s lots of discussion about krill oil and other forms.

3 Likes

I would love to get an Omega 3 index test. The basic OmegaQuant or Carlson’s test look good and are the cheapest I found ($50 USD). Any advice or other recommendations?
https://omegaquant.com/omega-3-index-basic/
https://carlsonlabs.com/omega-3-test-kit/

Seriously, do you know what fresh fish oil tastes like? Not like fish at all but creamy and buttery
This is how I get mine, stuff is delicious

https://www.jumbo.com/producten/princes-kabeljauwlever-in-eigen-olie-120g-msc-76511BLK

1 Like

Getting omega 3 from fish is no doubt better. It would just be difficult for me to get enough that way. I keep my Omega 3 capsules in the refrigerator and periodically chew one open. I know what rancid tastes like and mine don’t have even the slightest hint of rancid.

2 Likes

Omegaquant is the one to go with - and yes, it is a self ordered finger stick. There are 3 price points, each with more comprehensive data on your omega’s, including your 6/3 ratio, trans fat, etc. The basic one answers the question on index.
On the fish side of things, Nordic Naturals is a sensible brand, but there are lots of reasonable products. Do break open a capsule and make sure it isn’t rancid, as this has been an issue, and if so, this is oxidized and will certainly not be good for your health.

3 Likes

Thanks! For the average person, why would you need any of the more advanced tests? Wouldn’t the basic be enough?

For quality brands of fish oil, I go here and put IFOS fish oil in the “Select a Certification” box.
https://certifications.nutrasource.ca/certified-products

1 Like

It is complicated - I’d say if you have the standard American diet, you’ll have a high omega 6:omega 3 ratio, which then causes decreased conversion of dietary omega 3’s to DHA and EPA (they compete for the same enzyme).

So if you have too much Omega 6, this can damage conversion of Omega 3s to DHA and EPA. You can get around this by directly taking enough DHA and EPA whether by fatty fish (make sure wild caught and not far up the food chain) - or via supplements whether algae or fish oil based with known amounts of DHA and EPA.
I personally find ~300 mg of DHA and 150 mg of EPA is likely enough to get me in the 8% range - this is on a diet with no animal products and no processed foods, but also with dietary Omega 3’s and a low consumption of Omega 6’s.
If I consumed more Omega 6’s, I’d need more DHA and EPA supplementation.
If you consume any trans fats - getting that measured is sensible.
In my case, I think just the $50 test is all I need, as I’m primarily interested, with my dietary pattern, just in the Omega 3 index. I know the other stuff will be fine.
It might be worth a 1 time of the deluxe test then any routine monitoring drop to basic.
For my patients I usually go. With the mid range test at $75 which gives a bit more information.
Hopefully that helps. Simon Hill on The Proof Podcast has a great discussion of Omega 3’s and the whole pathway with a lipid and metabolism expert, if anyone has a burning desire to spend 2 hours really understanding this.
We know the SAD (Standard American Diet) yields around 4.5%, Vegetarian around 4% and Vegan 3.5%. So most people are deficient, and we believe that late onset neurocognitive decline (late dementia/Parkinson’s) and probably hemorrhagic stroke in the elderly is increased by having inadequate omega 3 index. So it is something I get on every patient, as I consider it a component of living well at older age. I’m not convinced there is any heart benefit - and we need to be careful to not overdo this, as doses pushing over 1 gram daily start to increase your rate of having atrial fibrillation.

8 Likes

I also supplement edit at that level with 340mg dha 170mg epa so I’m not an omega 3 nut but are we sure that it is the omega 3 itself that increases the afib risk and not other compounds in the fish?

Edit 2: appears to hold for purified fish oil so the answer is yes there is good evidence it is the long chain omegas themselves.

1 Like