Downsides of omega-3 supplementation (b/c they make the cell membrane more PUFA => more damaged)

There are two routes towards increasing acetyl-CoA (outside the mitochondria). One involves increasing citrate and the ACLY enzyme them converts that to acetyl-CoA. The other involves increasing acetate and the ACCS2 enzyme converts that to acetyl-CoA. The latter has an element of self-inhibition which is a nuisance.

You can increase citrate in a number of ways. In my view the best thing to do is to eat it, but there are complications that I go into on this thread:

2 Likes

Another point people may find interesting is that you can increase acetate by either drinking vinegar (I don’t think that is good myself because of the acid) or in fact by drinking alcohol and waiting for the liver to turn the acetaldehyde into acetate. You actually end up with a reasonably high concentration of serum acetate.

However, I think citrate is a better target. It is not necessarily as much fun, however.

2 Likes

The researchers used data gathered for the Singapore Chinese Health Study, in which 63,257 Chinese people aged 45-74 were followed from 1993 to 2010.

When there were only low amounts of ALA in their blood, EPA and DHA reduced the chance of a heart attack by 18 percent, according to the figure above. At a high ALA concentration, the reduction was as high as 49 percent.

Source publication.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0022316622089969?via%3Dihub

7 Likes

I am tracking the repair process from venepuncture over the first day and subsequent days for the blood test I did at 1pm today. Would you like me to post results?

Did you ever directly answer this question?

This thread answers the question.

I would also add, that it is quite common for omega-3 supplements to be rancid (over 45% of omega 3 supplements).
That’s of course, not considering that many omega-3 supplements are also not IFOS-certified for toxins and overall purity.

2 Likes

Paper on omega-3 consumption decreasing epigenetic age as gauged by second-generation epigenetic clocks.

4 Likes

John, does apple cider vinegar increase acetyl coa? And do you know the dose response curve given the self-inhibition?

Great study, thank you for posting. 49% reduction is enormous.

Worth noting that ezetimibe lowers ala absorption (and maybe dha and EPA too). So worth people upping intake in diet.

2 Likes

I would think vinegar (whether from apples or malt) has the ability to increase acetyl-CoA. However, I would be concerned about the fact that it is acidic and there is a question as to how much acid the body can tolerate.

Thanks John, This looks interesting: 29ml of vinegar to boost total time to exhaustion in cyclists.

They found an increase but failed to achieve significance given the limitations of the study.

Given my “smorgasbord approach” to things what else could i add to my acetyl coa foods:
apple cider vinegar, * Oranges

• Lemons
  • Limes
  • Pomegranates
  • Grapefruit
  • Tangerine
  • Passion fruit
  • Magnesium citrate supplement (low dose)

Is there anything else i could do without resorting to supplements?

2 Likes

The increase seems minimal, between water and vinegar. Sugar reduces performance, and nullifies the effect of vinegar.

Variable Water Sugar Vinegar SUG + VIN Combination (CBO) p-Value
(H2O) (SUG) (VIN)
Total Time to Exhaustion (secs) 147 ± 8 136 ± 7 152 ± 7 144 ± 7 0.25
Heart Rate (bpm) 169 ± 2 170 ± 2 168 ± 2 171 ± 2 0.11
1 Like

Yes true, but even a small boost to mitochondrial function (if that’s what this is) would be good if it comes at zero risk. We lose about 8% function per decade. So this would equate to about 4.5 years!

I enjoy cider vinegar already as part my normal food and drink, so if upping it slightly can improve my mitochondria it seems worth it. Especially if i can combine with other acetyl coa boosters

1 Like

I would be careful with too much acid. Supplements IMO are better as you can control more variables.

2 Likes

I thought you were after (cycling) sprint performance. Black currant seems to be helpful.

Results
If the students took the supplement [NZBC- New Zealand Black Currant], they covered an average of 10.8 percent more distance in their sprints than if the students had taken a placebo. In 4 subjects - the best responders - that distance even increased by 15 percent.

1 Like

Sadly sprint performance is low down on my priority list. Like the study though.!

Did anyone see the estimated magnitude?

Interesting that the used some form of MR methodology…. (@AnUser )

Has anyone looked into which brand(s) might be best from this perspective?

I’ve been using Carlson’s after a discussion of Omega 3 supplements by Peter Attia and the company claims:

”every product is tested by an FDA-registered laboratory for potency and quality“

But I haven’t double clicked on that or compared with others.

To ensure freshness, Maximum Omega 2000 is closely managed from sea to store. We source the highest quality, deep, cold-water fish using traditional, sustainable methods. And like all Carlson omega-3s, freshness, potency, and purity are guaranteed.​

The product I take (see post directly above) is 1250mg EPA / 500mg DHA. May I ask you, how that compares to your thoughts on optimal EPA/DHA ratios?