DIY Rapamycin skin cream

This is the one I use. It’s available on Amazon. It is heavy and high-quality stainless steel with a lid that keeps the contents in the mortar.
Tera 18/8 Stainless Steel Mortar and Pestle with Brush,Pill Crusher,Spice Grinder,Herb Bowl,Pesto Powder

5 Likes

desertshores, Thanks for the information and the research. I’ve tried both products. This saved me a lot of trial and error.

Thanks! Just ordered that very same mortar/pestle

That’s the concentration for the condition observed in the study. Not a suggestion for healthy guys but for the formula. Your job is to get informed about the best antiaging concentration.

1 Like

Did anyone notice that going from 0.1% to 0.001% is actually a 100-fold lower dose? I hope this was just an isolated error and not a reflection of the quality of the rest of their calculations.

2 Likes

If I had picked up on that, which I didn’t, It wouldn’t have concerned me overmuch. They could have been careless throughout and this error represents the study’s overall lack of quality, but imprecision in a general description might not be enough to condemn the study either.

Would you need a solvent if it was compound rapamycin?

I sent a message to the author of the paper listed in the contacts. Will be interesting to see what he says. Such an important error, even if just a typo, seems to warrant a published correction/addendum.

2 Likes

I see you actually read the long-winded version of my post that was up before I went back and edited it.

I mainly just want to double check/verify that the concentration they used in the study was 0.001% and not 0.01% such that we’re able to adequately duplicate their results in the real world. It’s the difference between crushing up 1 tablet into 100g of cream/lotion vs 10 tablets(!)

2 Likes

I think so. You need to make sure the rapamycin is fully disolved and mixed into the hand cream. Just taking the powder out of the capsules from a compounding pharmacy and mixing it with the hand cream is unlikely to disperse the rapamycin throughout the mixture very well. Also - Transcutol helps the rapamycin penetrate the skin, thus helping in the effectiveness.

1 Like

I am currently using 20 milligrams of Transcutol along with 80 milligrams of water, plus 10 mg of rapamycin.

Transcutol weighs .99% of water per cc, water weighs 1 gram per cc. So we will just round up to get 80 ccs of water plus 20 ccs of Transcutol weighing 100 grams.

Am I doing the math wrong?
1 gram= 1000 milligrams
1 milligram is .001% of 1 gram

So, my solution; 100 grams of water and Transcutol/10 milligrams of rapmycin = .001% solution of rapamycin.

I filter this solution so that I can put it in small spray bottles without clogging the sprayer.
I spray this directly on the skin. I don’t use lotions because they don’t penetrate like Transcutol.

If I calculated this wrong I am sorry, please correct me.

2 Likes

I believe you’re at 0.01%, 10x the concentration used in the study. 1 mg is 0.001 gram, not 0.001 % of a gram. Remember you have to multiply by 100 to get %. So for 100g total material (including the transcutol and the carrier cream/lotion/etc), each 1mg pill of rapamycin gives you 0.001g / 100g x 100(to get percent) = 0.001% rapamycin cream.

1 Like

FWIW

You will have more compound’s used for filler, coating, etc than rapamycin using crushed tablets

Yes but my view is that generally speaking, if it’s safe for oral ingestion, it’s safe to put on the skin. I also use a magnetic stirrer for several hours to help ensure the rapa is fully extracted/solubilized into the transcutol. In addition, I used 3 tablets to help account for imperfect extraction, etc, with the assumption that I should have a wide margin of safety and efficacy given such a low concentration.

1 Like

Thanks, I guess my solution is 10 times stronger than I thought it was. I have been using this and one slightly stronger; 12, 1 mg tablets, for ~3 months. I have seen nothing, one way or another. If there have been any changes, they are subtle.

4 Likes

I received a reply from the corresponding author of the Drexel study paper:

Just a typo. The drug has been used at lower concentrations in some TSC and angiofibroma studies so we erred on the conservative side in the statement
best,
Christian

3 Likes

Sorry to be dense here, but what is the “official” concentration from the studies?

Which part was the typo, the ten-fold or the 0.001% ?

2 Likes

0.001% in the Drexel study.

That’s 1mg rapamycin for 100g of total rapamycin cream (including transcutol, lotion/cream/ointment, etc).

That’s not to say that higher concentrations wouldn’t be more effective (maybe, maybe not), but I’m assuming there’s quite a bit of wiggle room to increase it. I made my latest batch with 3mg for 100g (0.003%).

4 Likes

Hi Rapasailor,
Did you order the topical rapa from CFS? What was their price? I just checked with Doyle’s compounding pharmacy, and they charge $229 for the .1%, and $329 for the 1%. Both were for 45g.,which they said was a 90 day supply. Not for the way I plan to use it! I called Doyle’s instead of CFS because Doyle’s was involved in the rapa clinical trials for angiofibromas, and they state that they do not use crushed tablets. The compounding pharmacist told me they use an aqueous cream as the vehicle.

3 Likes