Could rapamycin be good for eye problems?

I have a friend with amaurosis fugax, a temporary loss of vision which can be caused by a blood clot or insufficient blood flow to the back of the eye. AF can be an indication of a future stroke. Does anyone think that rapamycin could be helpful for this condition? Thank you.

2 Likes

That sounds really serious… from what I’ve just read:

The term amaurosis fugax is often used interchangeably to describe transient visual loss (TVL). However, it is employed widely in medicine to refer to any cause of transient monocular visual loss. Amaurosis fugax is a harbinger of an imminent stroke. This activity describes the causes, presentation, and diagnosis of amaurosis fugax and highlights the role of the interprofessional team in the management of these patients.

There is evidence that rapamycin increases blood flow in the brain, but in your friend’s case that doesn’t address the core issue which (given my very limited knowledge of strokes) could be arterial plaques in the brain. I’d be extremely careful around this issue… given the high risk of stroke.

See: Rapamycin restores peripheral blood flow in aged mice and in mouse models of atherosclerosis and Alzheimer's

1 Like

FWIW

I would be using the SkQ1 eye drops.

As I have posted in another thread I do use these{SkQ1 eye drops , sold under the name Visomitin) on and off.

I would suggest, to look up the work out of Cuba on the use of Oxygen/Ozone Major Auto Hemo Therapy{MAHT] for treating retinitis pigmentosa (RP) .

If you are interested attached is a lead;

1 Like

The issue is retinal blood flow… I suspect eye drops won’t get at the root of the problem.

With respect to embolic and hemodynamic causes, this transient monocular visual loss ultimately occurs due to a temporary reduction in retinal artery, ophthalmic artery, or ciliary artery blood flow, leading to a decrease in retinal circulation which, in turn, causes retinal hypoxia.[10] While, most commonly, emboli causing amaurosis fugax are described as coming from an atherosclerotic carotid artery, any emboli arising from vasculature preceding the retinal artery, ophthalmic artery, or ciliary arteries may cause this transient monocular blindness.[

1 Like

A papers on using oxygen/ozone on eye issues;

Ozone-induced retinal vascular reactivity as assessed by optical coherence tomography angiography

Abstract

Background: This study aimed to investigate the retinal vascular reactivity (RVR) of the macular and peripapillary capillary network in response to ozonated autohemotherapy (AHT) using optical coherence tomography angiography (OCTA). Methods: This was a single-centre prospective study. All participants that were planned to have a combination of major and minor ozone AHT underwent a complete ocular examination and OCTA imaging before and after the ozone AHT. Foveal avascular zone (FAZ) metrics and vessel density (VD) of superficial (SCP), deep capillary plexus (DCP), and radial peripapillary capillary (RPC) plexus were assessed using the built-in software. Results: A total of 40 right eyes of 40 individuals were included. No significant differences were observed for the mean values of the FAZ metrics and choriocapillaris flow area following ozone AHT compared with baseline values (p > 0.05). The mean whole VD of SCP and DCP was 47.80 ± 2.18% and 53.09 ± 3.00% before treatment, which decreased to 47.68 ± 2.7% and 52.38 ± 3.07% after treatment (p = 0.660 and p = 0.097, respectively). No significant differences were observed in the vascular densities of both SCP and DCP in any quadrant (p > 0.05). The RPC density did not show significant alterations compared with baseline values, except the inferior-hemi region. The VD in the inferior-hemi peripapillary quadrant was significantly increased after ozone AHT (p = 0.034). Conclusion: The ozone AHT did not cause evident RVR in the macular area, whereas the peripapillary area showed a partial response.

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/361249209_Ozone-induced_retinal_vascular_reactivity_as_assessed_by_optical_coherence_tomography_angiography

1 Like