COSMOS Study Shows Cocoa Flavanols Reduce Risk of Cardiovascular Death by 27%

14g added sugar for a 37g serving for their dark chocolate bar. Looks like junk food to me.
That said I love chocolate and I do my own from pure cocoa beans. I just add 2 or 3% allulose and the rest is only the cocoa beans.
For those interested I get my beans there: chocolatealchemy.com

They have tons of information on making chocolate.

4 Likes

Perfect, I’ve added it to the list. :wink:

40% sugar seems like it would taste too sweet, even for junk food.

2 Likes

Their cocoa has zero sugar and 900 mg flavonols per serving. :sweat_smile:

If I want chocolate I usually don’t buy “healthy” stuff, I just want to enjoy a little treat. Valrhona or Lindt are my go to. Homemade chocolate might be good, when I was living in South America I had a maid that was preparing homemade chocolate, which was really a delicious treat, but was also not what I have in mind when I eat chocolate. I want something that melts in your mouth and is not grainy or waxy.

1 Like

Thanks for this. This source looks very good.

My chocolate is not not grainy nor waxy! :slightly_smiling_face:
I use a refiner for days to get down to micron sized chocolate particles.
Valrhona is good though.

1 Like

O great, you use refiner! That is another level! I always wanted one, but then I say, do I really need another gadget in my kitchen :innocent: (you just put this idea in my head again! haha)
Now I would really want to try yours!

What kind do you use? They seem to start around $300 - is that right? Is a “refiner” the same thing as a “grinder”?

https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=chocolate+refiner&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

That particular model can’t do chocolate it seems: “Please note the warranty will not cover for chocolate or nut butter refining.Please purchase Premier chocolate refiner for chocolate and nut butter refining.”

I use the 8 lbs from www.melangers.com

1 Like

According to folk wisdom, but not to any studies I’ve found, cacao and cocoa can help treat cases of gout. I just ordered an extract in capsule form.

I don’t know about that but my uric acid is rather low at 3.7mg/dl even though I eat sardines and liver in addition to eating chocolate.
Normal values range between 3.5 to 7.2 milligrams per deciliter (mg/dL).

I found a small study that persuaded me.

2 Likes

I like Lindt, but surprisingly I noticed that the Lindt was made in the USA while Sam’s Choice from Walmart & Sam’s Club is made in Switzerland. Both taste good to me. Of course, the Walmart brand is cheaper. Care to common on the ingredients? Yes, one is 85% and the other is 90% cocoa.

3 Likes

Personally I think the taste is more rounded and balanced in Lindt 78%.

1 Like

No problem with the ingredients. Just normal stuff.
It’s still a highly processed product though because, instead of using beans cocoa directly, the beans have been separated into cocoa liquor/powder on one side and cocoa butter on the other side and then they recombine the 2 in the final product.

Acticoa needs to be ordered from Switzerland. They sell primarily to the food industry in large quantities. Minimum order seems to be two 10-kg bags.

1 Like

Any idea what the cost is per 10kg bag ($/kg)? Perhaps we do a group buy ?

Perhaps they have a US distributor…

It seems this company is the one that is leading the charge on high-flavonol chocolate:

2 Likes

As been suggested earlier in this thread, I think raw cacao is what you should opt for.

Roasting and dutchifying apparently is destroying more than 70% of the phytonutrients that comes from the raw bean.

Wasn’t aware that so much Cadmium came with the beans. I’ve been adding up to 6 Tbs in my oat-smoothies - for years. :grimacing: Will definitivt cut that down a bit from now!

2 Likes

Or simply sweat it out in the sauna

1 Like

Ok, i keep my fingers crossed! :partying_face:

Think NAC can help with the excretion of some heavy metals… might restart that and read up about how the the dosage should titrated in order ton not make things worse…

But will definitely keep doing my saunas!

2 Likes