COSMOS Study Shows Cocoa Flavanols Reduce Risk of Cardiovascular Death by 27%

My original comment does not mention the COSMOS trial, but even if it did, the COSMOS paper lacks any evaluation of “the risk tradeoff with heavy metals between cocoa products and nuts”. In fact, there’s not even a reference to the heavy metals at all in the paper, which at this point I doubt you’ve read.

Please link the ConsumerLab article to this cocoa powder with “negligible heavy metals” that was “used in the trial” for COSMOS. This would be highly relevant to the topic of this thread and those interested in the supplement.

The subject of the thread is the COSMOS trial. People are getting distracted discussing cocoa products, which are too low in cocoa flavanols to substitute for the extract and unlike the extract have heavy metals.

I’ve quoted directly from it in this thread …

2 Likes

Just use CocoaVia. Same one used in the study and it doesn’t contain any lead or cadmium according to consumerlab. Good luck getting 500mg of flavonols from dark chocolate or any other brand.

5 Likes

Cocoa flavanols, Nrf2 activation, and oxidative stress in peripheral artery disease: Mechanistic findings in muscle based on outcomes from a randomized trial

Overall, these findings suggest that cocoa flavanols may enhance antioxidant capacity in PAD via Nrf2 activation."

Paywalled article:

https://journals.physiology.org/doi/abs/10.1152/ajpcell.00573.2023

6 Likes

Might hence be pro longevity?

1 Like

Absolutely, NRF2 activation is a good thing: Does Nrf2 Play a Role of a Master Regulator of Mammalian Aging?

6 Likes

And part of two things with the ITP now I think

• First Protandim, and a month ago the study with
  • Astaxanthin
2 Likes

I understand melatonin is an nrf2 activator.

4 Likes

Did you stop taking that? What do you think about it? It is the one “medicine” that I’m considering adding to optimize my sleep

3 Likes

At this time I only take it if I wake up in the middle of the night fully awake…not sleepy still. Lately I haven’t needed it for sleep. But maybe there is more to melatonin. I’m wondering about how to take it to get the longevity benefits without messing with my sleep.

2 Likes

Got it. For me it would be the longevity benefits and also (a) can it extend my sleep from ~ 7-7.5 hrs of sleep to 8 hrs and (b) increase my deep sleep (from a sleep “quality” perspective at least according to wearables this seems to be my issue.

Any sense of how taking a slow release version of melantonin could help with (a) snd (b)?

1 Like

What you have to watch with melatonin is that depending upon when you take it in the sleep cycle (HPA cycle about 90 mins long) it can either help you sleep or wake you up. If it is going down (half life 30 mins) at the end of the cycle it will wake you up.

2 Likes

So there is no way of doing an extended release just before going to bed?

(I don’t really wake up (in an aware state that I’m aware of) during the night so it would be difficult to take pills during the actual night)

Renue sells Liposomal melatonin (see below), which is effectively extended release, since any liposomal supplement will circulate in your blood for 4-8 hours. However at $29.95 for 90 capsules of 1mg, it may be hard to get enough for the life extension and anti-cancer benefits, so maybe combine Liposomal melatonin for deep sleep with 25+ mg regular melatonin just before bed ?

2 Likes

I’ve been taking 500mg of the CocoaVia but it’s $1 per day on top of everything else I take. I am wondering if I really need it when I am also taking Rapamycin, Acarbose, Empagliflozin, Rosuvastatin, Ezetimibe, Taurine, Astaxanthin, Nattokinase, Telmisartan, and Nebivolol (among other things for heart health).

What are we thinking? Is it overkill?

1 Like

The answer is: How big is your budget?

3 Likes

Thankfully it’s pretty big but I still don’t know if I want to spend $365 a year on this particular supplement if I won’t get much out of it since I take all those other things

3 Likes

I use it but not everyday - for some effect, even if perhaps not full effect

If you have the money, I would rather invest in PCSK9i to further drive down apoB. But even with your current stack alone I don’t see how you could possibly develop ASCVD. Your focus should be on avoiding cancer, dementia, sarcopenia and infectious diseases.

2 Likes

I think you’re right. My ApoB is 41 and my Lp(a) is good so I don’t want to spend a fortune on a PCSK9. I’m not going to reorder the CocoaVia when I run out. Also, I just read on examine that there are a surprisingly high amount of flavonols in dark chocolate

1 Like