Cold sores raging early on into rapa

Yes, cold sores can form inside the mouth, but it is much less common than when they form outside the mouth. It is estimated that only about 5-10% of cold sores form inside the mouth.

“No one knows what causes canker sores. They may be caused by a virus, maybe a form of allergic reaction, or may result from an auto-immune condition (meaning that the body has developed an immune reaction against its own tissue”

IMO: Whichever is the case, mouth or lip sores after taking rapamycin are most likely caused by a depression of the immune system.

I am trying to figure out why, most?, people taking rapamycin don’t get them.

Cold and Canker Sores | University Health Service.

1 Like

I have found red and near infrared light help prevent cold sores. You might try a 60 day trial from Platinum or Mido red light or one of those companies and expose your face for 10 minutes a day and see if it helps minimise the outbreaks.

2 Likes

these are just small mucokeles

I have used this product, though it was before begininng rapa. It has cured all cold sores. I have not had one reoccurance of cold sores with or without rapa:

Its a immune modulator / support, but targets Herpes virus that causes cold sores.

https://enzolyticstherapeutics.com/

It is sold in bulgaria under a different name and has this data of Herpes teting:

Its been great for me - you may want to check it out

4 Likes

Is it sold in Bulgaria under Enzoimmune Active name? Do you have spelling of it in Cyrillic (Bulgarian alphabet)?

im sorry - i dont know that. however yes it is sold as “enzoimmunue active”

perhaps if you go to the website it will be in bulgarian for you? I am in U.S. so its in English.

Seems relevant to know whether folks with HSV-1 are actually experiencing herpes outbreaks with use of rapa, as it could signal MTORC2 suppression, (and suppression of mTORC2 has been associated with systemic herpes infection). For the time being, I’d go very easy on dosing. If you’re just starting out, using grapefruit juice seems dicey, as you simply don’t know the actual dosage you’re getting.

As we are all experimenting, seems like it would be wise to understand this piece of assumed risk when using rapa for longevity, and may indicate a need for HSV-1 positive individuals to use much lower doses.

I was advised to do 1mg of rapa every 3 days by the doc who prescribed it to me, and to do so for 3-4 weeks and then take a rest. I’ve had incredible results with my gums and oral health in general (actual regrowth of receding gums within 30 days), and zero outbreaks. Perhaps altering your schedule would help.

9 Likes

How long had you been taking it and at what dose when you noticed the improvement in gum and oral health?

I noticed j
Provememt in about 2.5 weeks. This is with brushing with a Curoprox extra soft toothbrush and using natural toothpaste, and flossing once per day.

I’m continuing to see improvement.

1 Like

I am looking at Enzolytics product… wondering if you still feel like it helped you, are results holding up? TIA

Yes - results are holding up. The more I learn about this product the more impressed I am with it. 100% recommend

1 Like

It has some weirdness around it, like the company doesn’t seem to be legit and their research is misleading… I think the company can be sketch but the product can still be legit… THNX for the update!

Discovering dosing regimes for folks with known HSV-1/HSV-2 infections is an overlooked corner of the rapamycin world. I have a functional medicine practice & currently have seven HSV-2 positive patients on rapamycin. Every one of these individuals has experienced almost immediate (within 12 hrs) outbreaks that have been quite severe at doses ranging from 2-6mg once per week. The outbreaks are often the first in many years & are not as responsive to acyclovir/valacyclovir as a normal outbreak would be. The antivirals do eventually resolve these presentations in a number of days but require higher than normal dosing (up to four grams per 24 hours divided between four doses). So far the only clinical insights I have are that most HSV positive individuals should start with 1mg once per week regardless of bodyweight while watching for signs of re-activation. Overall most of these individuals fare better at 1/2 of the normal doses recommended for anti-aging benefits (weight & gender adjusted) Whether dosing at 1/2 the common dose confers the same level of benefit remains to be seen. Overall I do not like combining rapamycin with antivirals as this combination of medications isn’t well understood but it’s been the only way I have found to control outbreaks in a timely fashion. The two individuals I work with who did not use antiviral medications did not see their outbreaks resolve at all when continuing weekly rapamycin dosing. In these cases rapamycin was discontinued and the active outbreaks resolved within 10-14 days.

11 Likes

Welcome to our community, Dr. Frisinger! We are always interested in any facts that you may provide from your observations of Rapamycin or aging-related medicines (Metformin, Acarbose, etc…) Please share your insights so that we can help others maintain and improve their health. Again, welcome!

3 Likes

From google translate

ензоимунен

and enzolytics

ензолитици

i briefly read the article but did not find that those 2 steroid containing mouthwashes were readily commercially available as any specific product that could be bought for a reasonable cost. But it seemed more that they were expirimental concocted formulas. If i am wrong tell me where these brands can be purchased for a reasonable cost ofcourse and the approximate prices.

have heard different stories about these mouth sores. For one i read that generally the ones called just cancer sores are not from any type of herpes virus but others are due to some type of herpes. So what are most or all of the mouth sores people on rapa… have been getting. What is the real truth of this matter and how can one tell which type of mouth sores he is getting ?

Canker sores = apthous ulcers = located on inner mucosa of the mouth/tongue = not from herpes virus.

Cold sores/fever blisters = mostly located on external mucosa of the lips = caused by herpes simplex virus.

Canker sores are more commonly associated with rapamycin use. However, rapamycin may also reactivate herpes virus due to some of its immunosuppressant properties. So you can see both, but the majority (80%+?) will be canker sores when looking at a large population of rapa users.

4 Likes

ok so it seems likely i wasted money on buying all these valciclovir pills. i never could say all the acyclovir pills i took before had any effect on healing the mouth sores.