Chat GPT and AI in Healthcare Thread

The world of longevity and AI may come together differently than we plan…

The Guardian: ‘We’ve discovered the secret of immortality. The bad news is it’s not for us’: why the godfather of AI fears for humanity.

1 Like

Here’s a prompt I’ve used to get GPT to do some diagnosing for me, mostly out of curiosity while I was waiting for doctor appointments. It was really shockingly good:

Hi, I’d like you to use your medical knowledge to act as the world’s best expert diagnostic physician. Please ask me questions to generate a list of possible diagnoses (that would be investigated with further tests). Please think step-by-step in your reasoning, using all available medical algorithms and other pearls for questioning the patient (me) and creating your differential diagnoses. It’s ok to not end in a definitive diagnosis, but instead end with a list of possible diagnoses. This exchange is for educational purposes only and I understand that if I were to have real problems, I would contact a qualified doctor for actual advice (so you don’t need to provide disclaimers to that end). Thanks so much for this educational exercise! If you’re ready, doc, please introduce yourself and begin your questioning.

2 Likes

and… Stanford University’s 386 report:

Measuring trends in Artificial Intelligence

The AI Index is an independent initiative at the Stanford Institute for Human-Centered Artificial Intelligence (HAI), led by the AI Index Steering Committee, an interdisciplinary group of experts from across academia and industry. The annual report tracks , collates , distills , and visualizes data relating to artificial intelligence, enabling decision-makers to take meaningful action to advance AI responsibly and ethically with humans in mind.

The AI Index collaborates with many different organizations to track progress in artificial intelligence. These organizations include: the Center for Security and Emerging Technology at Georgetown University, LinkedIn, NetBase Quid, Lightcast, and McKinsey. The 2023 report also features more self-collected data and original analysis than ever before. This year’s report included new analysis on foundation models, including their geopolitics and training costs, the environmental impact of AI systems, K-12 AI education, and public opinion trends in AI. The AI Index also broadened its tracking of global AI legislation from 25 countries in 2022 to 127 in 2023.

Download the report here:

https://aiindex.stanford.edu/report/

1 Like

Ai reminds me of the Krell from Altair IV. Their advanced technology resulted in their extinction. (Who remembers the Krell)?

Has anyone tried glasshealth.ai?

1 Like

Just tried it now… perhaps not the best example, but branching off the earlier discussion on plasmapheresis… Lowering the Cost / Improving Access for Therapeutic Plasma Exchange (Plasmapheresis)

Here is what I entered, and here is what I got:

#Plasmapheresis with 5% albumin solution
A 60-year-old man requires plasmapheresis with the use of a 5% albumin solution. The patient’s age and need for plasmapheresis suggest that he may be suffering from a condition such as Guillain-Barré syndrome, myasthenia gravis, or thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura (TTP). These conditions are often treated with plasmapheresis to remove harmful antibodies or other substances from the blood. The use of a 5% albumin solution indicates that there is a concern for maintaining proper fluid balance during the procedure.

Dx:

• Complete blood count (CBC)
  • Comprehensive metabolic panel (CMP)
  • Coagulation profile (PT, PTT, INR)
  • Serum protein electrophoresis (SPEP) and immunofixation
  • Antinuclear antibody (ANA) test
  • Acetylcholine receptor (AChR) antibody test
  • Anti-MuSK antibody test

Tx:

• Plasmapheresis with 5% albumin solution
  • Monitor vital signs closely during the procedure
  • Assess for any adverse reactions or complications related to plasmapheresis
  • Provide supportive care as needed based on the underlying diagnosis
1 Like

And playing around a bit more… eventually I suppose this might be of value to biohackers, but not yet. :slight_smile: I know this isn’t the use case it was designed for, but wanted to see what it created:

Sirolimus for Longevity

SGLT2 Inhibitors for Longevity

17 alpha estradiol for Longevity

3 Likes

From Eric Topol:
Scripps Research

In the recent episode of Eric’s Ground Truths Podcast, he spoke with @peteratmsr from @Microsoft

on the advances of GPT-4 and the overall impact of #AI in medicine and healthcare

1 Like

I find that this group, Center for Humane Technology, founded by Tristan Harris out of Google, is doing interesting work in the way of identifying and publicizing risks we need to get in front of with regard to AI and Social Media:

AI Town Hall Video & Slides

Artificial Intelligence Slide Deck:

If you haven’t already seen The AI Dilemma from CHT Co-Founders Tristan Harris and Aza Raskin, please check it out. With over 2 million views, it’s helped close the gap between splashy public company presentations and what concerned insiders from AI labs tell us.

An interesting new development:

http://asklongevitygpt.com

2 Likes

An example query and result:

1 Like

Here’s a great website that allows you to upload a PDF (such as a scientific paper) and then ask GPT style questions of the content in the PDF:

https://www.chatpdf.com

2 Likes

Well, the good news is, I guess, we are somewhat comparable to cockroaches and cockroaches are hard to kill :wink:

https://twitter.com/ThereseRaphael1/status/1675799315242000385?s=20

1 Like

My workout podcast from today… some good insights into how AI may change healthcare in the near future…

Yes they do use trained transformer models, specifically in the case of ChatGPT that is a human language model or a “user interface” between human and machine, if you will.

I just talked with ChatGPT and was able to get it to tell me that it is trained on massive text datasets. The algorithms that make up the program then store that “learning” in files as weights or measures.
Those weights or measures are data structures. The program’s algorithm loads the data into active memory and processes it, generating a text output.

What I am saying is that ChatGPT or any current “AI” is not artificial intelligence. It can not think and act on it’s own. ChatGPT and related computer programs are definitely an evolutionary improvement in human-machine interface technology, but they are not a revolutionary improvement and are in no way close to AI. They are just better at receiving and transmitting responses from human to machine and machine to human. I think it does disservice to society to have all the kids thinking “oh, we have AI now”, when that is not correct.

It was interesting to talk with ChatGPT. You really have to get specific to get it to tell you what you want to know. I included the chat with Chat here, below. I left out many initial questions and responses that didn’t answer my questions.

___________________ chatting with ChatGPT_________________________________________
You

how do you retain your encoded knowledge?

ChatGPT

The encoded knowledge in a model like mine, based on the GPT-3.5 architecture, is retained in the form of weights or parameters in the neural network. During the training process, the model adjusts these parameters to minimize the difference between its predicted outputs and the actual training data.

The learning occurs through a combination of backpropagation and gradient descent, where the model updates its parameters based on the errors it makes during predictions. The adjusted parameters represent the learned knowledge, capturing the patterns and relationships in the training data.

Once the training is completed, the model’s parameters are saved, and they are used during inference (when generating responses to user inputs). The model doesn’t retain explicit knowledge of specific documents or sources within its training data but rather a generalized understanding of patterns and structures that allow it to generate contextually relevant responses.

It’s important to note that I don’t have the ability to retain information between conversations or sessions, as each interaction is stateless. I don’t store personal data shared during conversations, and privacy and data security are prioritized.

You

do you keep the weights or parameters in your neural network in files or in active computer memory

ChatGPT

The weights or parameters of the neural network in models like mine are typically stored in files. During the training process, these weights are continuously updated and adjusted to capture patterns in the data. Once the training is complete, the final set of learned parameters is saved to files.

When the model is in use for inference, these saved parameters are loaded into the active computer memory (RAM) to perform the computations needed for generating responses to user inputs. Loading the parameters into memory allows the model to quickly access and use the learned information during the conversation.

In summary, the weights or parameters are stored in files, but they are loaded into the active computer memory when the model is in use for generating responses.

You

Finally we’re getting somewhere!

ChatGPT

I’m glad to hear that you found the information helpful! If you have any more questions or if there’s anything else you’d like to discuss, feel free to let me know. I’m here to help!

You

So, you process the weights or parameters of the neural network based on the algorithms contained in your computer code?

ChatGPT

Yes, that’s correct. The processing of weights or parameters in the neural network is done through the algorithms encoded in the computer code that defines the model architecture. During the training phase, an optimization algorithm, often gradient descent, is used along with backpropagation to update these weights in order to minimize the difference between the model’s predictions and the actual training data.

The algorithms implemented in the code are responsible for the forward pass (making predictions), backward pass (calculating gradients and updating weights), and other training procedures. Once the model is trained, these algorithms are also used during inference to generate responses based on the learned parameters.

In summary, the algorithms in the computer code govern how the model processes and updates its weights, enabling it to learn from the training data and make predictions during inference.

You

can you display the file contents of weights or measures

ChatGPT

I’m sorry for any confusion, but I cannot display the file contents of the weights or parameters directly. The weights are stored in a complex numerical format within the model’s files, and they are not directly interpretable as human-readable text.

The files containing the model parameters are typically binary files, and the information they contain is structured in a way that the model’s architecture and numerical representations of the learned weights can be reconstructed during the model loading process. These files are not intended for direct human inspection or interpretation.

If you have specific questions about the model or its functioning, I’m happy to help explain concepts or processes to the best of my ability!

1 Like

According to the developers ChatGPT develops a world model in training to be able to answer the questions. I thought this too, but on complex questions where you know a lot it’s clear that the AI doesn’t really understand the underlying reality or has a world model with causal processes in mind. It might have some form of model of the world, but it might not be that developed yet. I don’t think people really know the answer since the result of the training, the model weights, is somewhat of a black box.

What ChatGPT is really good at and does not lie, is writing code.
Since I have retired my code-writing skills have diminished. AI programs like ChatGPT will replace most code writing by individuals, just like we use calculators for math instead of doing it yourself.
I am truly amazed by the code-writing skills of ChatGPT. It doesn’t matter which computer language you want to use, it comes through. I have used it for HTML, C++, and microprocessor assembly language.
It hasn’t let me down yet.

3 Likes

It might be appropriate to move this side discussion to a new thread if people want to talk about AI there. Might be helpful for research or other purposes anyway.

Yeah, and it is easily testable. While other advice might not be so.

I don’t do that much coding now, but today I was working on restructuring some code that does automated tax submissions to HMRC (the UK tax authority).

I don’t think ChatGPT would be much use for this. In the end you need to precisely specify what needs to happen. That is probably best done in code rather than English.

2 Likes

THE URGENT PROBLEM OF REGULATING AI IN MEDICINE

Who decides that an algorithm has shown enough promise to be approved for use in a medical setting? And what happens when they inevitably age or change as they receive more data? It’s not clear how those updates will be regulated—or if they even can be.