Cautions to Synthetic Vitamin D3

The main measure of toxicity is the concentration of 25ohd in blood. This is often in a blood panel. Its a good idea to know the effect of supplementation rather than guess it.

Some people have problems with d3 metabolism and need to use it in a different way.

Best, therefore to do the blood test.

2 Likes

I completely agree. The blood test will tell you if you can metabolize vitamin D effectively.

For instance, I have found that I don’t metabolize it well. Even at 5000 IUs a day, I am barely in the normal range of 30-100 Ng/ml. My score is 31 Ng/ml. Therefore I probably need 10000 IUs a day.

5000 IUs only takes my score up 10-20 ng/ml. I was deficient before.

1 Like

I think there are limits as to how much someone can metabolise in a day. If you are finding difficulties at 5000iu you might be best trying to get some 25OHD. You need to be careful with 25OHD because you can rapidly increase serum levels without many drops. I think there is a version available in Spain, but I get dedrogyl. Each drop in theory is 200iu, but I find it has the same effect as 1,000 iu of cholecalciferol in oil. What I do is I take 3,000 iu of D3 every day, but I top up once a week to keep the levels around the top end of normal.

2 Likes

I have just found this which identifies some circumstance in which 1,25 diHydroxy Vitamin D (the active form which comes after the 25OHD storage form) inhibits mTOR.

3 Likes

Its unlikely to get too much from the sun as the sun only triggers a response to produce vitamin D so not likely to “over make” it to dangerous levels. But the sun can cause damage from the UV rays.

This is what I use, Calcifediol, but it is prescription only. Do you get DIDROGYL without prescription? Seems really reasonably priced.

“Dedrogyl” requires a prescription, but if you send a low 25OHD blood test result to an international pharmacy they will prescribe Dedrogyl. In the end this will be a matter of cost really as I would not think the Calcifediol that you use is materially different.

In the UK there is a prescription version of Calcifediol which is so weak you might not bother. It does apply for people who have particular D3 processing issues, but those are rare.

Yes, it is the same product but DIDROGYL seems really reasonably priced at 5,5 EUR in Italy, I pay for Calcifediol Rx I am using around 7x this price for the same amount of ingredient.
Do you prefer Calcifediol to Cholecalciferol? Are there benefits in using it besides quick serum response?

karism,

The above copy quoted, what are the reference/references?

I think unprocessed Cholecalciferol is mildly toxic in that it causes me sleep problems. I think there is a limit as to how much can be readily processed on a daily basis and I prefer to get my D3 from a mixture of Cholecalciferol and Calcifediol.

Hence to me there is a benefit of improved sleep. (because of less harm).

1 Like

Which as a website appears to be particularly unreliable.

I have tried looking for this reference:

Takagi T et al. Coronary atherosclerosis in swine induced by a mild dietary excess of (synthetic) vitamin D. Nutr. Rep Int. 1983;28:1111-1118

I found this:

Which has a similar author, but does not seem to justify the claim.

Let me be entirely clear, however, it is possible to overdose on vitamin D and overdosing will disrupt calcium processing.

1 Like

In your view.

I have posted this before;

Others, such as CĂ­cero Coimbra, MD, PhD. who has treated several thousand people with Mega- Dose Vitamin D have a different view.

I referred to the published research in this thread where two people died as a consequence of having too much Cholecalciferol. I am pretty certain they are not the only examples.

It was observed that a total of 3 (16.7%) of the hypercalcemic patients with D hypervitaminosis and vitamin D intoxication died.

Death from D3 overdose (whatever the source) is rare, but it can happen.

It happens that on 5/5/22 I had serum 25OHD of 419 nmol/l (about 167 ng/ml) and I thought whoops that’s a bit much and I stopped supplementing and by 12/5/22 from the same lab it had dropped to 337 (about 134 ng/ml) then a week later to 209.

I don’t think I had any negative issue from this. However, I know that 4 weeks earlier I was at 116.

My personal view is to target the top end of the normal range 200-250. (80-100)

2 Likes

This is an interesting paper from 1931 about the death of an infant from an overdose of synthetic vitamin D2. This may be where the nonsense in the web page about “cautions to synthetic vitamin D3” originally comes from and the author of the page may have been confused about the different types of Vitamin D.

edinbmedj75000-0011.pdf (7.6 MB)

Irradiated Ergosterol produces …

I am not personally inclined to try to work out what the threshold is for overdosing on D2. It appears to be quite a bit lower than D3, but to be honest I think taking any D2 is a mistake as it is not the right chemical for Homo Sapiens. A little bit probably does not hurt, but I personally want to stay away from it.

1 Like

BobinUk, That is an interesting read. Isn’t the essence of it that taking a few milligrams of a boron supplement daily is a good thing? Or, you could take borax instead if you wish. For example, this interesting quote showed excellent results for arthritis where levels of boron intake “are also high in Israel with an estimated daily boron intake of 5 to 8 mg and only 0.5 - 1% arthritis.” As opposed to that, the article noted countries with daily intake of less than 1 mg boron daily suffered arthritis rates from 40% to 70%. Yes, other medical concerns are mentioned, but I can’t cover all of them. Did I get the essence of the article right or have I misinterpreted it?

1 Like

Boron is worth trying as a supplement. I take 3mg per day.

2 Likes

I am 66 been using Borax over 5 years with only.benefits, originally struggled to walk up 1 flight of stairs but today as weather in u.k is crap, I decided to walk up the staircase of the flats where I live, 12 floors, total 168 stairs, I did it 3 times no problem apart from some muscle burn in my thighs, last week did a 25 mile cross country walk, it is said Borax also lowers cholesterol, 5 years ago mine was 6.6 (u.k)now 3.2 borax? excercise, weight loss… there are great groups on Fb on borax and there is plenty of borax research for its health benefits, many people like myself never got any results with boron supplements and borax saves on costs.Best to start low and slow as the herx can be quite painful until your system is able to clear all the gunk ( trust me, I learnt the hard way)

3 Likes

Do you mean Borax like in 20 Mule Team, laundry booster or powder for roaches?

2 Likes

Thanks Joseph,

This is interesting. A lot to learn and consider in this discussion. Did you do this protocol?
I am sure looking forward to the sun coming back!