Canagliflozin for Anti-aging - One Month and 4 Month Updates

Hmmm…that seems like a problematic tradeoff? Would be tracking and expanding surveillance on kidney function, one of the side effects of SGLT2 inhibitors.

Should we get a separate thread for comparison of all the SGLT2’s?

I found this: “In head-to-head comparisons [all cause mortality], the analysis suggests that empagliflozin is superior to both canagliflozin and dapagliflozin.”

3 Likes

This review is a great intro.

2 Likes

Sure - feel free to create a new topic on this. Seems worthwhile to discuss.

1 Like

I thought these SGLT2 Inhibitors are renal PROtective?

1 Like

I have been taking 5 grams of creatine in my morning coffee for ~25 years and have had no negative effects that know of.
BTW: I haven’t forgotten about the lithium blood test. I will try to get it next month along with a CRP test. I don’t put much stock in the CRP test, but I need it to enter into various epigenetic age tests.

Are your thoughts on CRP due to false positives?

If not CRP, what (reasonably priced) test/s would one use to track inflammation?

Unfortunately, CRP is so variable day by day. Any type of minor infection, tooth problems, cuts, etc. could give you a high reading. As I said, I only use it to satisfy my curiosity and have it available to plug into the age calculators. BTW: In the Levine epigenetic age spreadsheet calculator it isn’t given too much weight it. I think a CRP test would be used by doctors if they were trying to diagnose a problem you were having. Mine varies quite a bit while still staying in the normal range. But, I know it doesn’t take much to take it out of the normal range.

1 Like

I got my prescription filled today and got 25 mg tablets, but when asked in pharmacy they said I should not halve the tablets and in that case they would recommend 10mg. There is also warning inside not to cut the tablets. Any idea why? I could not find any reasonable explanation, rather that they don’t want me to save money as 10 mg tablets cost exactly the same as 25 mg that would last me twice as long… does anyone have any other explanation to why they should not be havlved?

One issue might just be the overall accuracy that you get when cutting a tablet in half. The 10 mg tablets I have of the Indian generic, Empaone, are extremely tiny, about the size of a red pepper seed. Not sure of the size of the 25 mg tablets, but you may get a wide range of doses from 8-15 mg depending on the cut. Empagliflozin seems very potent at only 10-25 mg doses, so 15 mg would affect you way differently compared to 10 mg.

Another factor might be the amount of filler needed to deliver the drug, and that may not be linear between the 10 and 25 mg doses.

It doesn’t seem like there is any reason other than they want to sell you the higher cost lower dose tablets. They are immediate release tablets, so cutting them in half is fine.

People have even designed a triple pill cutter for when you want 1/3rd the pill. See below.

FORMULATION CONSIDERATIONS

• INVOKANA tablets are not scored and are therefore not designed to be split.2
  • INVOKANA tablets, for oral use, are formulated with croscarmellose as a disintegrant to provide immediate release upon swallowing. The tablets are not enteric-coated, delayed-release, extended-release, or controlled-release.1, 3
  • No studies have been conducted by Janssen to establish bioequivalence between split and intact INVOKANA tablets.

Pill splitters essentially cut the pills in 1/2. But what about a med like Invokana - a break through diabetic medication that comes 300 mg and 100mg? If you split it in 1/2 you end up with a 150 mg strength.

Enter 3CutPro - they patented a triple splitter. It splits certain medications into 3 pieces, cutting the cost of expensive diabetic medications and a particular effective cardiovascular drug (Entresto) by 2/3.

Another option on splitting pills 3-way:

2 Likes

Immediate release means that they don’t go through the digestive system? I thought one reason they didn’t want people to split was because the acid would break down the contents of the pill

You are mixing up rapamycin and canagliflozin. Rapamycin is protected to get through the stomach.

2 Likes