Canagliflozin - Another Top Anti-aging Drug

In the paper they found: “SGLT2-inhibitors were associated with similarly increased risk of genital infection in both age groups (IRR <70 2.27 [2.03,2.53]; ≥70 2.16 [1.77,2.63]).”

So 2x the normal risk for genital infections, among people with T2D.

In people without diabetes, it’s less clear, see: Cardiovascular and renal efficacy and safety of sodium-glucose cotransporter-2 inhibitors in patients without diabetes: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomised placebo-controlled trials: "Low certainty evidence suggested that SGLT2 inhibitors increased the risk of urinary tract infection and genital infection […] Compared with placebo, SGLT2 inhibitors significantly increased the risk of urinary tract infection (RR: 1.29, 95% CI: 1.05 to 1.58, p=0.02; figure 3G; low certainty evidence, online supplemental table S2) and genital infection (RR: 2.44, 95% CI: 1.14 to 5.25, p=0.02; figure 3H; low certainty evidence, online supplemental table S2).

I think the risk is also lower for men.

tl;dr: the risk seems to be 2x placebo, whether T2D or not. So if you often have genital infections, you’ll have 2x more with SGLT2i. If you’ve never had genital infections then… :man_shrugging:

The risk seems higher with canagliflozin (Comparative Cardiovascular Benefits of Individual SGLT2 Inhibitors in Type 2 Diabetes and Heart Failure: A Systematic Review and Network Meta-Analysis of Randomized Controlled trials 2023) so maybe the risk ratio is less than 2 for dapagliflozin and empagliflozin.

3 Likes

Thanks!

Have never personally had an infection of these types, still I wonder is there a playbook of “preemptive steps”/protocol one could have to further mitigate the risk if taking an SGLT2i?

1 Like

My doctor told me: “Just shake it well” :slight_smile:

4 Likes

If the following is true, then the 2X risks when on an SGLT2i may put the risk in the ball park of 20-25% also for men.

While women are more likely to suffer from urinary tract infections, about 12% of men will develop a UTI in their lifetime.

And I think UTIs can be worse in men than in women when they actually occur? Perhaps also inducing prostatitis due to infection, see the Peter Attia conversation with leading urologist Ted Schaeffer below if I remember correctly).

So it seems like minimizing the risks if one takes as SGLT2i makes sense

Here are some tings I found via a quick google search, if anyone else has ideas / things to consider would be great to get them listed out:

Urine helps clear bacteria out of the urethra, so peeing both before and after intercourse can help eliminate bacteria in your urinary tract. Other ways men can prevent urinary tract infections include:

• Practice good hygiene: Regularly bathe genitals with soap and water to minimize growth and colonization of bacteria.
  • Avoid spermicidal lubricants: Lubricants can act as a vessel to transport and harbor bacteria. Avoiding lubricants can help prevent bacteria from entering the urethra.

Drink plenty of fluids. If you have kidney, heart, or liver disease and have to limit fluids, talk with your doctor before you increase the amount of fluids you drink.

Urinate when you have the urge. Do not hold your urine for a long time. Urinate before you go to sleep.

Older men have a higher risk of having a UTI, especially if they are after the age of 50. Most cases in older men stem from the bacterium known as Escherichia coli, which is naturally present in the body.

Cases similar to UTIs in younger men are typically caused by sexually transmitted infections (STIs).

A UTI develops when the bacterium gets into the urinary tract through the urethra and starts multiplying.

Risk factors include “a health condition or taking medication that suppresses the immune system”, so not sure how rapa played into things

Some of the sources:

Prostatitis due to infection: symptoms, pathogenesis, and treatment [46:45]; #273 ‒ Prostate health: common problems, cancer prevention, screening, treatment, and more | Ted Schaeffer, M.D., Ph.D. - Peter Attia

1 Like

Checkout Dr. Francisco Gonzalez-Lima, a behavioral neuroscientist at The University of Texas at Austin talk about methylene blue. As I recall he says MB can be used to avoid UTIs

1 Like

I edited my previous message because it seems that the 2x risk is for genital infections only, not UTIs.

This trial is also interesting: Pooled Safety and Tolerability Analysis of Empagliflozin in Patients with Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus 2020

The incidence of events consistent with urinary tract infections (UTI) was also similar for the empagliflozin 10/25 mg group versus placebo (9.27 vs. 9.70/100 patient-years, respectively). History of UTI was identified as a risk factor for UTI during treatment. Events consistent with genital infections occurred more frequently with empagliflozin 10/25 mg than placebo (3.54 vs. 0.95/100 patient-years, respectively). […] The frequency and incidence of events consistent with genital infections was higher among females compared with males […] As for UTIs, the majority of genital infections were non-serious, mild or moderate in intensity and led to treatment discontinuation in < 1% of patients […] The frequency of events consistent with genital infections was higher in patients with a history of chronic or recurrent genital infections compared with patients without such a history for both empagliflozin 10/25 mg and placebo (empagliflozin 10/25 mg: 22.7% vs. 5.4%; placebo: 7.9% vs. 1.5%, respectively) (Table ​(Table7).7). Moreover, complicated genital infection rates were consistently low and similar across groups (0.5% for both empagliflozin 10/25 mg and placebo)

2 Likes

That’s lifetime risk… which to me still seems like an amazingly low risk.

I’ve never had a UTI in my life or other genital infection. Seems like having a single or even a few bouts of UTI are a reasonable trade-off (for me at least).

2 Likes

Probably is how I’m coming out on the topic too. Still if there are things that can be done to cut the risk further that are low cost / low effort it may be smart to include those in a holistic protocol/playbook.

3 Likes

Another good paper: Prevention and Management of Genital Mycotic Infections in the Setting of Sodium-Glucose Cotransporter 2 Inhibitors 2020

The 3- to 4-fold increased incidence of GMIs is considered a classwide effect of SGLT2 inhibitors. Female sex and a prior history of GMIs are factors associated with the highest risk, whereas circumcised males are at the lowest risk of SGLT2 inhibitor-induced GMI. Personal hygiene advice can reduce the infection risk. When candidiasis occurs, it is often mild and responsive to treatment and often does not require discontinuation of the medication.

Here are the UK recommendations: https://www.imperial.nhs.uk/-/media/website/patient-information-leaflets/pharmacy/getting-the-most-from-your-sodium-glucose-cotransporter2-inhibitors.pdf?rev=c7c50dafb8bc4760aacc51a2d6c139fe&sc_lang=en

However, this is easily treated and a pharmacist or your GP can give you advice if irritation or itching occurs in these areas. Washing your genital area with warm water using non-perfumed soap and avoiding wearing tight underwear will reduce your risk.

Also from the first paper: Managing SGLT2 Inhibitor-Associated Genital Mycotic Infections

According to the review, optimizing diabetes management and providing personal hygiene education (ie, rinse genital area with water after voiding and before bed; wear cotton underwear) may help reduce the chance of genital mycotic infection in patients taking SGLT2 inhibitors.

2 Likes

The more I look at SGLT inhibitors the stronger the case seems to be for a longevity bet in humans

Anyone know why besides Peter Attia + the Nir Barzali/former NIA head ranking them at the top of their list of gerotherapeutics and Bill Faloon.Life Extension foundation, we not seeing a lot of momentum

• eg not in there recent paper by Sinclair and others we’ve been discussing this week, not mentioned (much/at all?) by Matt K, not really discussed by any of the Healthpan / AgelessRX groups?

That is an interesting question you bring up. Perhaps @szalzala can comment on Ageless RX’s take on SGLT2 inhibitors? Do they plan to offer them soon? What are the key issues they think that may be slowing adoption as a longevity therapeutic?

They are not yet offering it in their longevity product list: Longevity Prescriptions - Metformin, NAD+ Patches & More

3 Likes

I see 3 potential reasons:

1. It’s a very recent class of drugs: first approved in the US in 2013/2014. (For instance, a friend told me that even for heart failure, for which they’re a massive proven game changer, not all French doctors prescribe them yet.)
  2. Evidence on their longevity properties is even more recent: the successful ITP results were published in late 2020.
  3. It’s not yet widely available as generics.
5 Likes

Good points!

I’ve been paying $60/month for Canagliflozin / Empagliflozin for the past few years… its easy to forget its still crazy expensive here in the US and in many markets. Most people interested in longevity are probably not wanting to spend $600/month on an SGLT2 inhibitor.

3 Likes

That’s 10x more than acarbose or metformin? No wonder people don’t take them.

A 4th reason may be the adverse events. They initially seemed quite bad (DKA, Fournier’s gangrene, UTI, etc.), but as time goes on, it looks like they’re rare and/or benign. For instance, in 2017, the FDA required a boxed warning on canagliflozin to warn of an increased risk of leg and foot amputations! In 2020, after investigating more, they removed the warning.

The case for SGLTi seems to get stronger every day, so unless we discover a terrible side effect, I assume people will slowly switch from metformin/acarbose to flozins. Brad Stanfield for instance wrote:

In terms of a so-called longevity medication, I think that SGLT2 inhibitors will be the first ones that will be prescribed and made widely available. That’s because they appear to provide significant protective effects for the kidneys. Our kidney function starts to decline from around the age of 30, so if we can use SGLT2 inhibitors to slow down or prevent that decline, that would be a powerful intervention. Of course, we’re waiting on the human data to come through, but there is a robust way of these things getting through to people.

3 Likes

The biggest barrier is cost. The pharmacy charges $600 for 30 tablets
We have an idea to bring down the cost. We’re going to be running a small trial to see if our idea works, and if it does then we could offer it at a more reasonable cost. But it’s still going to be expensive. There’s no way around that currently unless you get it from an overseas pharmacy (which you need to be careful of) or It goes generic

3 Likes

@adssx you have done an excellent job at describing the DKA and UTI pictures. Would you mind sharing more color and data on the gangrene/amputation risks/non-risk?

3 Likes

Very exciting. Any sense of the time line for that?

Is there a way to show interest in participating in the trial?

Generic SGLT2 are already approved: Canagliflozin - Another Top Anti-aging Drug - #385 by adssx

We just need a few months for them to be available to customers I guess.

2 Likes

Probiotics help treat recurring urinary tract infections

Taking a vaginal probiotic, either on its own or with an oral probiotic, for four months reduced the incidence of urinary tract infections in women with a history of recurring UTIs

However, it is unclear how these vaginal and oral probiotics stopped UTIs from occurring, says Caroline Mitchell at Massachusetts General Hospital. She says she would like to have seen sequencing of the participants’ vaginal microbiomes to see the composition of bacteria. “How does that change? Do [probiotics] change the function of bacteria already there? How sustained is that? Is that displacing pathogens? That’s where we’re missing a lot of scientific data in the field generally, not just in this paper.”

There are some ideas as to how probiotics treat UTIs. For instance, beneficial microbes could discourage the growth of pathogenic bacteria, which tend to travel from the vagina to the urinary tract, by producing hydrogen peroxide, says Rabin. This acidic substance may make the vagina less hospitable to pathogens, she says.

Full article: https://archive.ph/SiU38#selection-987.0-995.324

3 Likes

Here are the high-quality sources I found, starting with the most recent ones:

Evaluating the Safety of Sodium-Glucose Cotransporter-2 Inhibitors in a Nationwide Veterans Health Administration Observational Cohort Study, The American Journal of Cardiology, 2023

The use of SGLT-2 inhibitors, compared with GLP-1RA, was not associated with an increased rate of any amputation (aHR 1.02, 95% confidence interval [CI] 0.82 to 1.27), BKA (aHR 1.05, 95% CI 0.84 to 1.32), all clinical fractures (aHR 0.94, 95% CI 0.86 to 1.03), hip fractures (aHR 0.82, 95% CI 0.50 to 1.32), DKA (aHR 1.66, 95% CI 0.97 to 2.85), VTE (aHR 1.02, 95% CI 0.80 to 1.30), acute pancreatitis (aHR 1.02, 95% CI 0.80 to 1.30), and Fournier gangrene (aHR 0.92 95% CI 0.61 to 1.38). Lower rates of serious UTIs were observed in the SGLT-2i group than in the GLP-1RA group (aHR 0.74, 95% CI 0.64 to 0.84). This real-world study found that SGLT-2i use compared with GLP-1RA did not increase the rate of amputation, BKA, clinical fractures, hip fracture, Fournier gangrene, acute pancreatitis, DKA, serious UTIs, and VTE in veteran patients.

Improved Fournier’s Gangrene Outcomes With Prior SGLT2i Or Metformin Usage, Journal of the Endocrine Society, 2023

Interestingly, multiple studies have found no significantly increased risk of FG with SGLT2i use. However, these studies have very large confidence intervals due to the rarity of the observed event. […] The use of SGLT2i does not appear to worsen the clinical course or outcome of FG and may actually improve it based on our data showing decreased ICU admissions and length of stay.

Sodium–Glucose Cotransporter 2 Inhibitor Use Associated With Fournier’s Gangrene: A Review of Case Reports and Spontaneous Post-Marketing Cases, American Diabetes Association, 2022

Although FG is rare, the mortality rate is as high as 88% in some cases. Therefore, patients with preexisting risk factors require careful monitoring to preemptively evaluate signs and symptoms for the development of urinary tract infections and genital infections, especially in patients who are immunocompromised. […] Of the 491 cases included for review, 162 were reported with canagliflozin, 101 cases with dapagliflozin, 223 cases with empagliflozin, and 5 cases with ertugliflozin. The low number of cases associated with ertugliflozin may be attributed to the fact that it was a latecomer to the U.S. market, having been approved by the FDA in 2017 (8). Although results from the FAERS database depict a higher incidence of FG associated with empagliflozin, correlations regarding differences among the SGLT2 inhibitors remain inconclusive because of unknown prescribing patterns and unreliability of FAERS data. […] Diabetes is one of the most common risk factors for development of FG, along with obesity, chronic renal failure, cirrhosis, and impaired host defense (e.g., malignancy or AIDS). When coupled with local trauma such as perineal surgery, periurethral urine leak, or other iatrogenic causes, there is a higher susceptibility for development of FG, especially among males and older patients

=> What about concomitant rapa use?

Adverse Event of INVOKANA – Fournier’s Gangrene Associated with SGLT2 Inhibitors, Janssen, 2022

Predisposing conditions include diabetes, alcohol abuse, obesity, chronic kidney disease, congestive heart failure, severe sepsis, coagulopathy, cirrhosis, trauma to the genital area, steroid use, chemotherapy, human immunodeficiency virus (HIV), malignant neoplasms, and low socioeconomic status.

Fournier’s gangrene and sodium-glucose co-transporter-2 inhibitors: A meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials, Diabetes, Obesity and Metabolism, 2019

We retrieved 84 trials enrolling 42 415 patients in the SGLT2i group and 27 158 patients in comparator groups. No difference was observed between SGLT2i and comparators in the risk of FG (Mantel-Haenzel odds ratio [MH-OR] 0.41 [0.09, 1.82]), abscess (MH-OR 0.94 [0.54, 1.65]), cellulitis (MH-OR 0.90 [0.71, 1.13] or erysipela (MH-OR 0.89 [0.45, 1.77]). The number of events was small, leading to a wide confidence interval that does not allow ruling out an increase in FG or skin and subcutaneous tissue infections.

Association of Sodium-Glucose Cotransporter 2 Inhibitor Treatment With Risk of Hospitalization for Fournier Gangrene Among Men, American Medical Association, 2019

Among 138 158 SGLT-2 inhibitor users, there were 13 cases of hospitalization for Fournier gangrene (unadjusted incidence rate, 15.0 per 100 000 person-years) compared with 24 cases (unadjusted incidence rate, 9.7 per 100 000 person-years) among 360 685 DPP-4 inhibitor users, corresponding to an adjusted rate difference of 6.7 excess hospitalizations per 100 000 person-years (95% CI, –2.8 to 16.1 per 100 000 person-years) and an adjusted hazard ratio of 1.73 (95% CI, 0.87-3.42) […] In this study, Fournier gangrene occurred rarely among patients initiating treatments for type 2 diabetes. Among those men initiating use of an SGLT-2 inhibitor, the study found a potential increase of approximately 1 case per 10 000 men treated, but this increase was not statistically significant.

FDA warns about rare occurrences of a serious infection of the genital area with SGLT2 inhibitors for diabetes, FDA, 2018

Fournier’s gangrene is an extremely rare but life-threatening bacterial infection of the tissue under the skin that surrounds muscles, nerves, fat, and blood vessels of the perineum. […] In the five years from March 2013 to May 2018, we identified 12 cases of Fournier’s gangrene in patients taking an SGLT2 inhibitor. This number includes only reports submitted to FDA* and found in the medical literature, so there may be additional cases about which we are unaware. In 2017, an estimated 1.7 million patients received a dispensed prescription for an SGLT2 inhibitor from U.S. outpatient retail pharmacies.

Based on the above evidence, this paper concluded: “For nondiabetic individuals, SGLT2i therapy virtually never causes ketoacidosis, lower limb amputation or Fournier’s gangrene.” => Looks like a sensible conclusion to me.

3 Likes