Can you share who you trust as an "expert" in the longevity and Healthspan space

Charles Brenner is in my view a bit negative, but he will engage with rational argument. David Sinclair just does not engage.

3 Likes

Dr Brad Stanfield. I’ve visited him in person too, excellent:

8 Likes

I like Dr. Brad as well. However, it seems like he’s going down a less controversial route and talking about things like collagen, creatine, and omega-3s instead of Rapamycin, acarbose, metformin, etc…

He’s more of a health news reporter which is something we do need.

2 Likes

Yes, the rules around Rapamycin are very strict in NZ and Dr Stanfield wasn’t able to prescribe it for me unfortunately, even though he is very aware of its benefits. I imported some from India but our local friendly customs officers confiscated it :frowning:

2 Likes

Read lots on these sites, mostly from men… Do many women use Rapa 1 Sirolimus 2… on my 6th dose after twice weekly dose… Am certainly not napping anymore… I am 76… no known health problems… not sure where this leading me… but feel well… I also use DNA supps … Most of the people in this age group seem to suffer from painful feet… which leads to falls… Drs, love handing out painkillers… but they do lead to kidney problems I hear…
The other thing I find irritating is instead of Hip/Knee replacement, (seems they can’t wait to get you on the table)… anyway I had some stem cells… 4/5 yrs ago… great results… but was expensive and HBF won’t cover it… they called it cosmetic surgery???.. anyway thought I’d give it another go… now double the price… odd… $5000…—$10,000 as against $50,000 for surgery??? Seems big Pharma doesn’t like losing $$$
Lily Mary

4 Likes

Hi Mary, welcome to the site! We have many women here, but sometimes their usernames are generic or masculin sounding.

Help me understand your dosing… are you saying twice every week, or once every two weeks? We’ve had a lot of confusion around this in the past. most people dose just once per week, and about 10% do once every two weeks. See our dosing information thread here: What is the Rapamycin Dose / Dosage for Anti-Aging or Longevity?

You mention that you are not napping any longer… is that because of rapamycin? Has it helped in your energy levels?

1 Like

exactly my thoughts as I was here for the first time. In short: yes.

Same here. As I read the first time about longevity, I read something about sincliar from lifespan.io.
I think Sinclair is really good at marketing his products. I don’t think he’s a mad scientist, but I just don’t trust him. For example: Matt Kaeberlein or Brad Stanfield are way more caution is their statements. I really appreciate that.
But I always take their statements with a grain of salt.
For example Matt Kaeberlein: He has quit his job at the university. So we will have to see if his statements will become influenced by his commercial interests.

3 Likes

Don’t want to be negative, but is there any value to listing those people who you don’t trust, or think are putting out misinformation?

I think Matt is great, but I think its human nature to be more positive on things you have a vested interest in, and more neutral on things you don’t.

Its really hard to be neutral when a large part of your salary is dependent on the financial success of something you are involved in.

So - I take anything said by anyone who has a stake in the outcome, with a large grain of salt. I don’t think David Sinclair or others are purposely being deceptive, I think its just human nature.

6 Likes

I am using Metformin 1 tablet (IP1000mg), 2 Sirolimus (1mg )… each tablet…twice a week … have had no side effects… first 2 doses… had loose bowel movement… but not now… after 6 doses… I noted people have a break after 3 months… will probably do that also…
Thanks Mary

Am fairly new at this… so am reading heaps… if I need to make an adjustment I will look at that also… and will try 3 months… then take a break… maybe a month… but will look at these time frames again later… Thanks Mary

2 Likes

I trust Richard Miller

Best Regards
Ahmet Taviloglu

4 Likes

Energy levels are better… but stopped the napping when I began using DNA… started Rapa/Met … was hoping that would help with painful feet… little better, but might try stem cells later…

yes, but … :slight_smile:

1. it depends on how much your career is a scientific one. Kaeberlein’s career was a pure scientific career until recently. In case of Sinclair: not for a long time.

2. scientists are always convinced by their results. Some scientists are more and others less. In case of sinclair, he’s more convinced then others. But it’s not unusual. And yes, here comes also your argument in. But I think its also a case of personality and maybe popularity.

With “I don’t trust him” I don’t meant that he’s desceptive. I just don’t rely on his papers. Or to be more pricise: If I would concider taking a substance because he published a paper on it, I would read the methods more carefully and I would wait for some follow ups. But thats nothing special.

5 Likes

Dr Rand McClain - author of Cheating Death

I like Michael Lustgarten’s data driven approach.

5 Likes

My list of “listen intently”

Peter Attia
Alan Green
Matt Kaeberlein
Charles Brenner
Mikhail Blagosklonny
Nir Barzilai
Valter Longo
Steve Austad
Richard Miller

My list of “listen cautiously”:

David Sinclair - He got me started in this whole quest for health span, but since then I haven’t been impressed. With his hands in so many pies, and with him making so much money, it’s hard for me to completely trust his views. I also find him less likely to reference other research than others I listen to.

Brad Stanfield - The way he supports his views by pulling one or two sentences out of an entire study bothers me. To me, the beauty of an Attia or Kaeberlein is that they dive into the data and pull it apart and give the pros and cons of the research methodology. I will watch him, but tend to read the studies he’s referencing myself.

I honestly try to not to close anyone out completely, but I find working for a living truly encroaches on my research time. :disappointed:

8 Likes

I love your unfiltered, but well thought out response. Some of the pureist on scientific methodolgy are not great action planners, but the ones that ultimately do the real work from theory to proof

2 Likes

Brenner 100% wakes up in the morning just looking for optimistic people to deflate. I’ve never seen him speak anywhere where it wasn’t focused on how dumb everyone else is and how nobody should be hopeful about anything.

8 Likes

Besides a must, Josh Mitteldorf Science Blog, I just came across some YT channels I would like to share with you.

One is Physionic. “Detailed multi-study analyses, clear explanations of mechanisms underlying the results, and a sprinkling of cheeky humor. Learn your body, from the macro to the micro - welcome to Physionic”. Real pro at “studying the studies”, dozens sometimes, and making accesible their content for a lay in the matter like me and guess some of us here. Includes longevity themes, gut health, brain, muscle gain, etc.

Other one is The Sheekey Science Show for diving in anti-aging compounds and longevity strategies.

Last one is High Intensity Health, more general purpose medicine but also picking antiaging studies.

3 Likes