Can We Turn Old Bones Young Again? Research Suggests Yes

@medaura Thanks. I’ll add that question.

@John_Hemming Thanks for the clarification. I’ll see what they know about it.

Do you mind telling us what you are taking for ditrate supplementation? It seems to come in several varieties, potassium, sodium, calcium & boron. Do you do some of each?

Thanks, Beth

Its a bit complicated and detailed here:

I am offering a small amount of coached biohacking on this for a few people if you wish me to do that. On the other hand you can simply read the details on the post I have linked to.

Thanks very much. That’s a lot of detail, I’ll go look into it.

@Neo The osteostrong thing looks fishy to me. They say “Founded late 2011. It is an entirely new concept that delivers strong bones, muscles and balance in about 7 minutes of sweat-free effort a week. The system is so effective and results so easily achieved that our customers range from young, elite athletes to people in their 90’s and every age in between.” It just doesn’t pass the sniff test. But I’ll ask my interviewees about the ability to use exercise and vibration plates…i’ll try to get at dosing…if they say 7 minutes a week I’ll ask about Osteostrong.

1 Like

It might be that there is something there scientifically - even if they then have gone overboard on how the market around it

I asked about it because it was actually a credible doctor at a credible clinic that recommended it to my mother and that doctor had nothing to gain by suggesting that my mother consider doing it

1 Like

We have some more discussions, reviews and information on Osteostrong in these threads:

Here: Peter Diamandis Longevity Protocol: Weekly 6mg Rapamycin + 100 mg Doxycycline - #11 by RapAdmin

Here: Medications for low bone density (bisphosphonates LIKE zoledronate)? Potential long term effects? - #35 by RapAdmin

3 Likes

@neo. True, and I will ask about non impact exercises and dose. But I can’t mention the name with how flaky they appear. In my mind it’s a scam even if it works. It’s a Tony Robbins thing. Some people love the guy. I can’t get close to that kind of thing.

1 Like

Sounds good. Or you could say something like *** “and how about OsteoStrong that thousands of people seem to be doing, it seems to be too good to be true… is there something good there or not”***

That way if it is flakey you can help us and other listeners learn that

1 Like

There’s a lot of nuance involved. I recommend watching this for a primer, maybe use 1.5x-2x speed

Look up Rubin’s research on PubMed.

3 Likes

Vibration therapy has to be a nuance on “use it or lose it”. The issue to fix, however, is the failure of osteoblasts to differentiate (which means they end up as adipocytes). The solution, however, is what I have said previously is the solution.

2 Likes

Would you categorize resistance training as way to go after strengthening bones at the root cause level?

Here’s some details on one of my “Bone Health” interviewees (interview tomorrow):

Book: Great Bones - Taking Control of Your Osteoporosis Amazon.com

1 Like

@John_Hemming here is something you’ll find interesting…melatonin supports bone health

1 Like

Its an interesting thought.

This is the paper that set me off on the trail to citrate supplementation

https://www.nature.com/articles/s43587-021-00105-8

2 Likes

“ Stem cell exhaustion is a well-established hallmark of the aging process. Bone marrow mesenchymal stem cells (MSCs) have been shown to play an important role in aging due to their ability to regenerate bone by giving rise to adipocytes, chondrocytes and osteoblasts. However, aged MSCs show decreased capacity to differentiate into osteogenic and chondrogenic lineages. This feature has been linked to increased fat content in the bone marrow upon aging, and concomitantly higher risk of osteoporosis and fractures”

Bingo. This clip from the study you shared is exactly on point for bone health…as you said.

This is a part of the answer to the question: is loss of bone density and quality inevitable with aging? Maybe not!

That’s why I think citrate supplementation will mitigate osteoporosis (potentially entirely).

The key part of this, however, is that the problems that occur in other parts of the aging phenotype are problems that would potentially result from the same cause.

1 Like

@John_Hemming Here’s a paper on the citrate - bone connection.
The Important Role of Osteoblasts and Citrate Production in Bone Formation: “Osteoblast Citration” as a New Concept for an Old Relationship - PMC.

Here’s my interview with Dr Keith McCormick on bone health. It went way long so I was not able to get into every wanted.

Here’s a few bits. More in the show notes.

• vibration plates are not a substitute for resistance or high impact exercise but better then nothing (if you can’t exercise)
  • osteoporosis drugs are powerful but not a long term solution. Don’t need them.
  • Many things to do right to keep healthy bones; entirely consistent with being a healthy person.
  • For Great Bones, you need:
    • 1.2g/kg/day of high quality protein(collagen is good but doesn’t count toward protein intake). Can take leucine and alpha ketogluterate to boost anaerobic effect of protein
    • Low chronic inflammation; over-active immune system is bad for bone (watch gluten and dairy). Also, long cardio sessions increase inflammation which is bad for bone.
    • Frequent high impact activity (2x/day for 30 minutes is ideal); resistance exercise is the key
    • A healthy gut for absorption of nutrients & avoiding immune system over-activation: lots of fiber, digestive enzymes (acidic digestion), herbs: berberine (good for gut and for bone)
    • Sufficient nutrients, including calcium (not carbonate; 150-200mg a few times a day), magnesium (not carbonate); keep sodium in check; watch iron
    • Get enough Vit D (test for 40-60 nanograms/ml; commonly 1000-5000iu/day) and Vit K (1 & 2 MK- 4&7). Omega 3 are helpful.
    • Healthy sex hormone levels….don’t be catabolic
    • Stable weight (no yo-yo dieting); dramatic weight loss is bad for bone
    • No fasting or IM if low BMI
    • Vibration plates are not a good substitute for resistance exercise; useful for people who cannot exercise.
5 Likes