Can statins be pro-healthspan/longevity even if they don't increase mice lifespan? Interaction with metformin / rapamycin/ etc?

Bempedoic Acid does not affect CoQ10

Keith C. Ferdinand, MD: Bempedoic acid is going to be beneficial. The statins, as you know, do affect coenzyme Q10. Bempedoic acid doesn’t. It may help those patients who are truly statin intolerant.

1 Like

I don’t see a mention of CoQ10 there.
I don’t know anything about Coenzyme Q.

Statins have zero effect on mitochondria, as evident by Peter’s patients having no effect on their ergometer wattage at 1.7-2.0 mmol/L lactate.

There was a recent analysis of a massive randomized controlled trial in Korea comparing rosuvastatin with atorvastatin, atorvastatin had lower side effects and incidence of diabetes, that could help with glucose, which you can measure anyway if starting a statin. Atorvastatin might help with mood better than rosuvastatin since it might get into more easier tissues like the brain since it’s not as hepatoselective [all statins get into the brain].

Trump also takes rosuvastatin.

1 Like

If you want the lifespan and atherosclerosis prevention benefits of lower apoB you could use another drug like a PCSK9 inhibitor. I would probably edit my PCSK9 gene if it was available.

1 Like
2 Likes

We have a way of measuring mitochondrial function directly: work output (energy)wattage at 1.7-2 mmol/L lactate. If someone is interested in cardiovascular disease risk, I will ask about their apoB.
If someone is interested in mitochondrial function, I will ask about their ergometer wattage at 1.7-2 mmol/L lactate. What is yours? (I am deconditioned, so I have very low mitochondrial function). Or why have you chosen not to measure it? Increase it?

Mitochondria in muscles might also be able to travel to other locations including the brain. We have literally a way to produce, and measure mitochondria extremely reliably, confirmed by biopsies. But the theory guys don’t talk about it.

It is only an assessment. Approximation. It is an experiment that can show underlying mitochondrial dysfunction. It is not in any way direct measurement. Where did you get this idea?

What are you talking about here? It has been a while since my cellular biology classes, but what do you mean by that? Mitochondria can not survive without the cell. They rely on the cell’s resources and cannot function independently outside of the cell.

3 Likes

I will have to read about this more, but you are right that mitochondria probably can’t travel.

2 Likes

So then could we create mitochondrial biogenesis in muscles, and they could transfer to and replenish organs with more/better mitochondria? Rejuvenating mitochondria in other tissues by increasing amount in muscles? Is there a way to increase transfer rate?

I think this is a known thing in that if you exercise one muscle a small amount of growth develops elsewhere. I think this is part of the HIF 1 alpha pathway.

1 Like

According to Inigo San Millan the max amount of mitochondrial biogenesis happens at low lactate or maximum fat oxidation, in his experience with his tour de france winners he train. So the best exercise is the low-medium intensity ones. It’s interesting if that type of exercise can rejuvenate the mitochondria across the entire body. It’s also relatively low impact with low injury risk.

2 Likes

There is the interesting thing about walking being quite a good exercise. What I personally do is aim to walk more quickly particularly when I am walking on my own. I have had a hernia since I was obese (I got it when I was obese, but it was not obvious) hence I am not positive about running because of the pressure on my inquinal area.

I have hence got into the habit of walking quickly.

Obviously exercise improves the area being exercised moreso than the rest, but there is AIUI a broader effect. To what extent this occurs through EVs I don’t know.

3 Likes

Perhaps zone 2 via rowing or swimming is better than via bicycle then as more of the body’s muscles are involved… (with running perhaps somewhere in between)?

1 Like

I think the dose makes the poison if there truly are scary negative effects from statins. There’s probably a big difference between 5mg Rosuvastatin that only filters through the liver and 40mg of prevastatin for instance.

It seems that dosage is never brought up into this conversation, nor is the specific type of statin.

It’s always either

• statins good
  • statins bad
5 Likes

2 Likes

The Holy Triangle.

What’s up with the post soviet countries not taking statins and dying massively of CVD? High saturated fat? Low trust in institutions? Did the soviets make anti-statin propaganda?

1 Like

Statin is too close to Stalin in spelling. Something was probably lost in translation… :wink:

4 Likes

Lmao you might be on to something. Dumbest thing ever if true.

It has been shown that you can get a training effect on an immobilized limb by exercising the opposite limb.

3 Likes