Bryan Johnson, Is he the New Poster Child for Rapamycin Use?

That would be helpful if he can expand on what exactly he is claiming and point to current or future research publications/presentations that can be examined in detail.

To be clear, my analysis is merely pointing to what I am observing with Bryan Johnson. I don’t have an exact idea of what extent @Oliver_Zolman_MD has in it.

2 Likes

Welcome to the site, great to have you.

Bryan Johnson is certainly the “Poster Child” of supplements.
And the inspiration for the Ai. poem on another thread.

Upon waking
Acarbose 200mg (Rx)
Ashwagandha 600mg
B Complex .25 pill M/Th
BroccoMax 250mg
C 500mg
Cocoa Flavanols 500mg
D-3 2,000 IU
DHEA 25mg
E 67mg
EPA 500mg with vitamin E 5mg
Garlic 2.4g equivalent
Garlic 1.2g (kyolic)
Ginger Root 2.2g
Glucosamine Sulphate 2KCL 1,500mg
Iodine as potassium iodide 125 mcg
Lithium, as lithium orotate, 1mg
Lycopene 10mg
Lysine 1g
Metformin ER 1,500 (Rx)
Nicotinamide Riboside 375mg (6 x wk)
N-Acetyl-L-Cysteine (NAC) 1,800 mg
Turmeric with piperine 1g
Taurine 1g
Ubiquinol 100mg
Zeaxanthin (20mg Lutein, 4mg Zeaxanthin)
Zinc 15mg
w/Dinner
Acarbose 200mg (Rx)
BroccoMax 250mg
C 500mg
Cocoa Flavanols 500mg
EPA 500mg
Garlic 2.4g equivalent
Garlic 1.2g (kyolic)
Ginger Root 2.2g
Glucosamine Sulphate 2KCL 1,500mg
Hyaluronic Acid 300mg
Lysine 1g
L-Tyrosine, 500mg
Metformin ER 500 mg (Rx)
N-Acetyl-L-Cysteine (NAC) 1,800 mg
Nicotinamide Riboside 375mg (6x wk)
Turmeric 1g
Before bed
Melatonin 300 mcg
Other
Extra Virgin Olive Oil, 30mL daily
Pea Protein, 29 grams daily
Dark Chocolate, 15 grams
Rapamycin 13mg, bi-weekly (Rx)
Testesterone 2mg patch 6x weekly
B12 methylcobalamin 1x/wk

4 Likes

My wife worked with Bryan about seven years ago when he launched kernel. At the time she told me that one of his assistants had said he was having stem cell injections into his brain.(I’m not sure if it was true or not) I have some mixed feelings about what he’s doing, because it seems so extreme. However, I can’t help but think if I had his resources I’d probably be chasing the same thing. He’s doing what some of us are attempting or would like to do only with unlimited resources. His full-time job seems to be trying to reverse his biological age, but chasing more life at the expense of the one you have seems a little counterproductive. That said, I wish him luck.

10 Likes

Here’s a hint - piperine is a P-gp and CYP3A4 inhibitor, as well as some intestinal permeability changes. That messes with a lot of the proposed dosing already

3 Likes

I don’t think that specific part in principle is necessarily a prioritization issue that leads to counterproductivity. “Longevity escape velocity” is plausible in theory, but we don’t know what amount of time is enough to hit it if it does happen within our lifetime.

The bias towards interventionism is a real issue. Perhaps your wife might be able to comment more (if comfortable) about whether Johnson hitting his midlife years is a contributor towards his recent changes.

I’ll also point out since Johnson claims to be into experimental gene therapy soon without mentioning the limitations - while we have identified a few SNPs that may increase the probability to hit 100 years old or more (I happen to have won the longevity genetic lottery for a good amount of contenders ie FOXO3A, SIRT1, etc if that’s true and I’m not particularly certain that I’ll have enough time) - I’m also not aware of any SNPs identified that give anyone exceptionally healthy 70-80 years olds that resist actual “aging” for his supposed strongly held belief that he is “rejuvenating” back to an 18-year old. I’d be wary of off-target effects or unexpected adaptive immune system responses at the very least if I was going to mess with gene therapy currently even if it was just messing with the liver. It’s not a technology ready for prime time - just as how he’s previously overestimated the success rate of xenotransplantation.

I’ll also add plenty of 100-year-olds smoke and don’t have anything resembling the lifestyle that Johnson purports. Not that anyone should start smoking - but it’s to illustrate a lot of what he wants has to do with luck, not just skill - if the assumptions end up in fact true.

Meanwhile a huge number and big data approach from measurements does not necessarily indicate skill and it can even lead to unlucky events. Seen an ERCP cause sepsis and death because of “incidentaloma” imaging on the pancreas (far outside of any proven/supported screening guidelines), but without symptoms - the patient was a particularly influential person who wanted to test. Imperfect data can be harmful - albeit yes I am talking about a relatively rare deadly situation.

4 Likes

Yes, none of the supplements have much support for longevity increases as you know.

This is why i think the vast majority of his biological age improvement likely comes from rapamycin and acarbose (the only well-documented, validated longevity drugs in his stack), and why (even though he doesn’t know it) he’s the poster child for rapamycin use :smile:

The supplements are a longer list than most of us here take, but all of them are well known and probably won’t hurt him (though as tongMD mentioned, impact the bioavailability of the drugs).

9 Likes

Welcome to the forum! It’s great to have a doctor as progressive as yourself here.

Would love to know more about how you go about selecting and testing interventions.

4 Likes

The truth is, the cost of the rapamycin and acarbose is probably less than $1,000 per year and those alone may (I suspect) give the same level of benefit he’s getting from all the other supplements.

3 Likes

Welcome Dr. Zolman!

I am a big fan of Mr. Johnson and yourself! I have shared Bryan’s blueprint project with my family and I think what your team has done is amazing. We are all in this longevity journey together and I hope we can make breakthroughs to improve the life and health of everyone. Thank you for your hard work and sharing with the community.

4 Likes

In the video you guys talk about Bryan taking a non-feminizing estrogen. Is that 17ae2?

3 Likes

Agreed. Almost all of the list may not matter much.

Here’s a modified far lower cost “blueprint” (not medical advice, talk to your doc) - if ITP ends up translating - and it could well be better than Johnson’s plan:

ITP winning combo:

1. Rapamycin + acarbose (+ optional canagliflozin intermittently)

Depending on insurance (even low-cost or free ACA HMOs) that can cover generic rapamycin with a low copay - $300/year or buy Indian rapamycin (and canaglifozin) - <$1000/year. (Note - it is marginally better to avoid generics destined for developing countries in the long run)

Old “polypill” concept with example generics (ideally when indicated and individualized therapy with titrated initially low-dose):

1. Rosuvastatin+ezetimibe (rosuvastatin can be modified to intermittent to minimize potential side effects as needed)
  2. Candesartan cilexetil/telmisartan
  3. Low-dose aspirin (often optional, older adults consider avoiding this)
  4. Sildenafil/tadalafil

Assuming optimally split pills, this can cost <$10/month with insurance and sometimes less if optimal PBM use.

Diet (cost-effective version):

1. Mixed vegetables + mushrooms (stir-fry blends in grocery can be ~$2, small dash of real EVOO for cooking - general heuristic is 100% Californian or elsewhere in the US)
  2. Lentils/black beans (~$1)
  3. Dark berries (flash-frozen, ~$2)
  4. Steel-cut oats (~$1)
  5. Mixed unsalted nuts/seeds (~$1)
  6. Sardines (includes soft edible bones, water/oil drained, ~$2)
  7. Morning coffee/green tea (~$1)
  8. Salt substitute - 75% NaCl/25% KCl (mostly foolproof and does not impart a bitter taste + metallic aftertaste where NuSalt does) & fresh whole spices ie chopped garlic, ginger, etc (~$1)

Can be ~$11/day or if you’re eating more, <$20/day (wash, scrub, and may soak produce with baking soda)

Can add/swap:
9. Sockeye salmon (astaxanthin) - may swap sardines
10. Collagen peptides (glycine) - may mix in lentil soup cooked in bone broth
11. Natto (spermidine + some MK-7) - may swap beans

Annual preventative generally covered $0 by insurance:
CBC w/ diff
CMP
HbA1c
Lipid panel
TSH/free T4 (optional, indicated if relevant symptoms)

Total cost:

$4,435 per year, but this includes food - it’s roughly around the average American grocery bill. Not surprised - since this would be most likely be mild calorie restriction for a sizable amount of people.

So in actuality this is really close to $0 additional spending.

Don’t see a big reason to spend ~$25k more on food/supplements/testing unless one doesn’t mind diminishing returns and can afford to (it’s the case for me - but I am quite aware most people do not have the same luxuries).

The average American is better off saving themselves scientifically proven extra years based on the laws of Physics by spending that money switching to a used 3-year-old midsize SUV with a 3x lower empirical fatality rate compared to their base model sedan. You’re more likely to get death and disability from a car accident than actually need to pay that much more for marginal items.

Even $5-8k more is already pushing the boundaries of returns, if one wanted to go organic - marginal for most foods on this list after processing and cooking, besides berries and some nuts.

Throw in a few marginal tests (apoB can be ~$3 cash pay, hs-CRP ~$18, one-time Lp(a) test around ~$12 is generally worthwhile) and targeted micronutrient interventions ie USP grade Vitamin D 1,000-2,000 IU, magnesium taurate, and creatine (Creapure) - it might be <$300/year.

If you really want to gamble a little further out with high safety profile interventions, assuming higher quality source:

High-dose EPA fish oil (EPA/DHA/mixed tocopherols), nutritional yeast (B-complex), unsalted bone broth (glycine/HA/glucosamine), deep orange egg yolk (lutein/zeaxanthin/phosphatidylcholine), 100% cacao nibs (cocoa flavanols), etc with microdose lithium, if not already available from the local water supply.

Not particularly difficult to add several “functional foods” with some animal-derived products, compared to the impractical “unicorn vegan excel spreadsheet diet” with a “kitchen sink” of pills that can have so many possible combined quality assurance and cost-effectiveness issues - often impossible to get USP grade or close to equivalent.

If you want a valid CLIA-certified whole genome sequencing test (ie useful for avoiding side effects in statins under pharmacogenetic standards or if you have clinically meaningful CYP variants etc), some clinical trials pay you to get one and you may meet the best physician-scientists involved (some may include multi-omics testing).

So, if one plays all the cards skillfully, one can come out way ahead of Johnson with an even better healthcare team and more quality data when considering the possible harms of “VIP medicine” and overtesting issues and getting paid for it.

Ultimately, may cost less than $0 additional with better results if skill is applied.

Then, add in some luck and one may get to “longevity escape velocity” - if it ends up being plausible. Spending $2M is really no match for average Joe and massive luck factor.

What isn’t usually mentioned is how much luck factor is involved. This “blueprint” concept appears to be aimed at media exposure and makes it seem as if engineering can currently bypass luck using some form of Big Data hyperbole. As much as the engineering side of me wanted to believe that we can currently do that, it’s just not true yet. Probably not anytime soon.

18 Likes

Great post. Where do you get the low cost lab work? I pay ~$35 for an ApoB test

1 Like

Below is Zolman’s profile from his website.

1. I have created the 500+ Zolman Clocks to measure biological age in all 78 organ types across both genders, comprised of over 500 sub-clocks (multiple clocks per organ) to prove reversal of aging and prove n=1 LEV (longevity escape velocity) using my N=1 LEV equation.

2. I have written the Zolman Biological Age Marker (Z-BAM) criteria, with evergreen peer-review, 15 statistical criteria that markers must meet a minimum set of to be statistically and clinically valid, with no close comparison of such objective criteria made before to critically appraise biological age markers of any type (imaging, device or biosample based)

3. I created the Longevity Level 123 protocol to measure and reverse aging in all 78 organs using the most statistically rationale evidence based medicine (EBM) approach. This involves writing hundreds of novel experimental clinical guidelines covering every experimental longevity test and therapy, built on international gold-standard EBM principles such as AGREE2, IPDAS, N=1 CONSORT, GRADE, Cochrane Handbook of systematic reviews, NICE manual, etc. I have also extended beyond these gold-standards with my own standards for informed consent.

Level 123 protocol is designed using systems thinking to be unsurpassably systematic in every possible evidence based factor that can contribute to unwanted clinical or biomarker (imaging, device, biosample) outcomes

Level 1 = Proven to raise mean lifespan by 2+ years in 50%+ of people and stack their effects: 6 components: CRON, AHEI-2010 diet, Exercise, BMI, Alcohol, Smoking

Level 2 = Non-age related: 13 categories of non-age related causes of unwanted clinical outcomes

Level 3 = Measure 500+ Zolman Clocks, other clocks, 78 organ ages, Level 3 tests and therapies experimental clinical guidelines

1. I created Longevity School to teach Longevity 123 protocol and how to measure the 78 organ clocks at research grade standard. This allows clinicians and innovators to become their own rejuvenation research groups by using gold-standard markers with gold-standard methodology, and see which organs or markers they can rejuvenate with on label, off label or unlicensed therapies.

Longevity School is an online platform with native mobile apps, desktop apps, video content that adheres to Medical Education gold-standards, evergreen peer-review and conflict of interest statements. Longevity School provides certification and revalidation in Longevity Escape Velocity Medicine (LEVMED) Speciality Training, first published in the peer-reviewed PubMed listed journal Rejuvenation Research February edition in 2018 and presented at the 2018 the Undoing Aging Conference.

1. I created the field of competitive longevity, publishing the first Rejuvenation Leaderboards and using a rationale and evidence based points system based on the 500+ Zolman Component Clocks to rank individuals. I further expanded this concept to sub-leaderboards for specific organ rejuvenation.

2. I have also created many multi-organ clocks that provide a systemic view of aging processes that will affect many organs, these also need to be reversed.

3. I have created the first organ age heatmaps which show biological age heatmaps within organs, showing which parts of one’s individual organs are aging fastest and causing the overall organ to be older.

4. I actively call out pseudomedicine, pseudo-aging tests, pseudo aging therapies, sub-par practice and objectively irrational thinking using evidence based medicine principles and peer-reviewed references to back up my claims. This includes the concept of ‘no guideline → no experimental test or therapy’.

5. I have written the first experimental clinical guidelines and pharmacokinetic pharmacodynamic translational models for all wild type mouse lifespan studies interventions, e.g. Rapamycin, Alfatradiol, NGDA, AAV/CMV HTERT/Follistatin/klotho etc (50+). I have ranked every wild type mouse lifespan study by effect size on maximal lifespan and this is a core part of longevity school and level 3 therapy strategy.

His clientele include Bryan Johnson, founder of Braintree-Venmo (sold to Paypal for $800M), Kernel and OS Fund, and with Oliver created Project Blueprint, documenting his work with Oliver to maximally reverse the quantified biological age of all of his organs using the 500+ Zolman Clocks and Level 123 protocol. Bryan and Oliver’s parents are the first people to go through the Longevity Level 123 protocol, quantify the biological age of all 78 organs using Zolman Clocks and maximally reverse them using Level 123 therapies experimental clinical guidelines.

Qualifications

Oliver earned his M.B.B.S. from King’s College London, England (equivalent to the US M.D.)

First Class Honours BSc in Regenerative Medicine, Innovation Technology & Biology of Aging.

Visiting Fellowship in Evidence Based Medicine, at the University of Sydney

Cambridge University Judge Business School Accelerator Program

Cambridge University Medical Education Masters to be started in 2023

Young guy (29), in school most of the time. Wonder how many patients he has treated. There is no stated hospital experience, nor research lab experience.

Website offers software, longevity school training, red wine polyphenols for $800 [12 bottle lot ($66 per bottle of 60, but not sold individually)], and testing ( The Zolman 78 organ panel).

Hmmm.

3 Likes

Bryan looks great for a calorie restricted vegan man. He definitely wouldn’t look that way without the testosterone.

5 Likes

There is no claimed new approach to anti-aging; only a claimed new approach to measuring. I fail to see the value of another method of measuring. What needs to be discovered is the measured (improvements to aging) and the means to achieved that which is measured.

Time to move on.

1 Like

Ray Kurzweil would almost be jealous.

Pascalian Medicine in action:

Pascalian medicine is a theory that suggests taking a “betting” approach to medical treatment. The idea is to take a variety of medications, even those that may only have a small chance of working, in order to increase the chances of finding something that will be effective. The theory is named after philosopher Blaise Pascal, who proposed the idea of “Pascal’s Wager” in which he argued that it is better to believe in God, even if there is only a small chance of it being true, because the potential benefits outweigh the potential harm. In a similar way, Pascalian medicine argues that it is better to try a variety of medications, even if they may have a small chance of working, because the potential benefits outweigh the potential harm. It’s important to note that this theory is still in the early stages of development, and it’s not currently widely accepted in the medical community.
-ChatGPT

4 Likes

Well would seem like rapamycin and maybe acarbose drove his improment based on what we know from ITP.
If you look at percentage drop 5/45 it is about 11% reduction
By comparison my reduction is 9/69 or 13%
and I’m not eating that vegan crap

3 Likes

Home institution cash pay

But here is an option that can save one a bit for routine labs - works pretty much anywhere in US: https://ownyourlabs.com

Not medical advice, not your doc, beware risks of overtesting.

1 Like

That’s a big leap of logic there in that hypothesis and frankly, some magical thinking in that blog. The common trap of believing that more numbers/“data” must be the better one. There was a meta-analysis that showed Ivermectin is a treatment for COVID once. But the problem was one couldn’t trust the numbers for bias. Turns out numbers were made up. Garbage in, garbage out.

Most people are horrendous at predicting success rates or potential for harm. Small studies often have spurious results. Almost always overestimates. The base rate of deep experts in the field is 5-10% or so.

But maybe one is a special prediction superstar. In that case, I suggest making millions on biotech stocks with one’s amazing talent and beating the team of PhDs involved in hedge funds - it’ll translate to higher life expectancy and one can empirically prove skill. One doesn’t need to be right all the time - just some level of accuracy about the confidence level and then calculate corresponding position sizing.

2 Likes