Biohacker spending $2m a year to reverse his age beaten by man paying just $30k

Do it every night, before shuteye. I used to snore (family members noted). Not anymore (according to family), even when I forget to tape the mouth.

There is a lot of literature about nasal breathing and its benefits. There are some posts here. Just use the search string “mouth, tape”. One of the threads is below.

I do not tape the whole mouth; just the center, from philtrum to below the lower lip. I use ordinary Scotch tape. It does not impede breathing, but does not come off as well. I know, because when I pee in the wee hours, it is still there. Then I take it off, to put the early morning melatonin under the tongue. I put back the same tape, and it is still on the lips when I wake up to get up.

This lady is extreme. She uses tape even when not asleep, to force herself to nose breath.

MY PRE-EATING LIST:
• Wakeup without an alarm, breathe through nose, get natural sun
• Tape mouth with medical tape ($7.49) when not eating or socializing.

Wondering if I should try this while browsing on the computer.

3 Likes

I find that Dave Pascoe at 61 looks much much better than Bryan Johnson does in his mid forties, Actually, I find Johnson’s appearance weird, as though he had died and been embalmed. For me, Bryan Johnson has no real credibility. I will read what he has to say looking to possibly pick up a good idea or two. I find what Pascoe has to say many times more valuable as Pascoe lives what I consider a normal life. I also consider it an important fact that Pascoe (unlike Johnson) is not looking to sell me “miracle olive oil” and “miracle supplements” and “miracle foods” at prices many times more than they should cost. Some times I think Johnson is just trying to make another 900 million dollars as he did with his first business.

6 Likes

I’ve come across a few supplements on Pascoe’s list that I was not familiar with. Particularly TAM-818 and TA-65, both of which are supposed to improve telomere length.

Have you seen the price of these items? We’re talking $800 and $569 respectively for 90 days supply. That seems like a hell of a lot of cash to throw at interventions that I can find very little about and have never heard about from any other longevity experts. What’s the general feeling from everyone here on these particular supplements? Anyone tried them at all?

7 Likes

AIUI Telomerase is produced in cells with a high level of acetylation, probably at some particular stage in the cell cycle.

Histone acetyltransferases (HATs) and HDACs induce the acetylation and deacetylation of chromatin histone or non-histone proteins respectively, thereby modulating the expression or function of their targets. Histone acetylation or deacetylation has been shown to be associated with hTERT transcription and they seem to be a general underlying characteristic of human normal cells, telomerase-negative immortal cell lines and cancer cells [34, 94, 95]. Besides, core histones hyperacetylation at the hTERT promoter region is also related to its transcription in multiple human cells [14, 96]. Treating telomerase-negative cells with the histone deacetylase inhibitor (HDACi) TSA causes hTERT mRNA upregulation and telomerase activation. In addition, MAD-mediated repression of the hTERT promoter requires histone deacetylase activity, whereas TSA-mediated derepression is not dependent on E-boxes [94]. Moreover, Won and colleagues show that SP1 and SP3 can interact with the hTERT promoter region, and recruit HDAC to deacetylate the nucleosomal histones and silence hTERT transcription in normal human somatic cells [35].

1 Like

Did you do any pre/post testing on HRV, BP, sleep quality, etc. - to see the true impact of mouth taping?

3 Likes

Yes - this is an example of one of those expensive but minimal/low benefit type of supplements that people buy. The evidence that I’ve seen does not support or justify the expenditure of that amount of money on these products.

I think we really need to focus on the cost effectiveness of longevity therapeutics… what is the cost and the measurable, proven benefit? And then prioritize them based on this metric. Its easy to spend thousands of dollars on low benefit, poorly proven supplements or drugs or therapies… but thats not really the way to go unless you have unlimited resources because you’re wasting money that could be spent on more effective products/therapies.

See this: Telomeres Testing

And this: Is Telomere Length a Good Proxy for Biological Age?

8 Likes

The only thing I recall is my sleep breathing rate falling when mouth taping. It follows that a slower rate of breathing means a deeper pattern of breathing. Deeper and slower breathing is a known cause of higher co2 (leads to higher NO and more efficient O2 exchange) and higher HRV due to parasympathetic activation.

2 Likes

Do you use any nighttime tracker product - Oura, Fitbit, etc. - that might give more details on the “Taped” vs. “non-Taped” situation? I think I will try this in the future.

What type of tape do you use? I’m assuming a big piece of Duct Tape is not what you are using :wink:

2 Likes

You can use surgical tape, but tape vertically, so it’s possible to breathe through the sides if needed.

1 Like

What tape are you using?

1 Like

I use surgical tape.

3M™ Micropore™ Surgical Tape 1530-1, 1 IN x 10 YD (2,5cm x 9,1m), 12 Rolls/Carton https://a.co/d/d9OHZGd

I use an Oura ring now but not when I started mouth taping. My breathing rate metric comes from the Oura ring on the nights when I fell asleep without the mouth tape. I just happened to notice that my breathing rate was higher without mouth tape. Breathing rate is rather variable in any case but I’m confident the mouth taping forces me to breathe more slowly due to the turbulence the nasal passage conchae create. To compensate I breathe more deeply.

Mouth taping is a no brainer in my opinion. No downside and plenty of upside. You get use to it by only taping the center of the mouth (leave the mouth corners untaped) until you are comfortable taping the entire mouth.

3 Likes

Thanks. I’m always surprised by the number of “healthy” people I know who never do checkups because “they don’t need it”.

3 Likes

What was her previous situation and stats? Asian women tend to age well in general. Must be something in their diet.

Asians tend to age better than other races in general.

2 Likes

Looks like I’m going to have to add “Siberian Sea Buckthorn Oil” to my stack!

3 Likes

Rap Admin, you write, “Yes - this is an example of one of those expensive but minimal/low benefit type of supplements that people buy.”. Given this, I’d love to know your stack of supplements that you take that don’t follow this min/low benefit issue.

3 Likes

My stack is here. If the supplement is cheap (eg vitamin D), I am less rigorous on the cost/benefit calculations as it’s in the noise of the budget.

6 Likes

What effect you have seen with rapamycin toothpaste?

I went off it when I was getting in the plasmapheresis clinical trial, and I am just restarting, so no effects to report.

1 Like

Thank you. Tell me more about the rapa toothpaste. You make your own I presume? How do you do it?