ASCVD Risk Calculator

The “Framingham Heart Study (FHS”) showed that most people don’t get side effects from low to moderate doses of statins. The first statin I tried was Zocor and I did have side effects. namely muscle weakness and soreness. I switched to Lipitor and I had no side effects and took it for decades. So, if anyone is complaining about their statin, they should at least try a few others before giving up.

2 Likes

Just found out that my statin problems could be caused by this:

This is because it isn’t safe to eat grapefruit or drink grapefruit juice while using a statin.

Good to know. I eat a lot of grapefruit…

Rosuvastatin doesn’t interact with grapefruit, while others might so.

2 Likes

Statins that interact more

The following statins tend to interact more with the furanocoumarins in grapefruit juice:

• atorvastatin (Lipitor)
  • lovastatin (Mevacor)
  • simvastatin (Zocor)

Statins that interact less

These statin medications tend to interact less with grapefruit juice:

• fluvastatin (Lescol)
  • pitavastatin (Livalo)
  • pravastatin (Pravachol)
  • rosuvastatin (Crestor)
1 Like

In 2017, I developed tinnitus. Kaiser ear doctor took some pictures, informed me that I had atherosclerosis in carotids. Bonus!

I had tinnitus for decades but did not associate it with atherosclerosis - and none of my doctors thought it was worth following up on. The audiologist focused on addressing my hearing problems, and he never brought a potential vascular issue to my attention. Somewhat similarly, no dentist has ever told me there is a link between periodontal disease and heart disease - I assume they know this is true, but all they want to do is your annual cleaning and check for cavities.

Tinnitus isn’t associated with atherosclerosis, as far as I know. The athero just happened to show up on a scan initiated by my report of tinnitus.

Tinnitus isn’t associated with atherosclerosis, as far as I know.

It can be.

Heart disease, hearing loss and tinnitus (healthyhearing.com)

So what does your heart health have to do with your hearing? It’s all about blood flow. Studies have shown that good circulation plays a role in maintaining good hearing health. Conversely, inadequate blood flow and trauma to the blood vessels of the inner ear can contribute to hearing loss. This is also why hearing loss and diabetes are connected.

That’s because the delicate hair cells in the cochlea, which play an important role in translating the noise your ears collect into electrical impulses for the brain to interpret as recognizable sound, rely on good circulation. Poor circulation robs these hair cells of adequate oxygen, causing damage or destruction. Because these hair cells do not regenerate, it results in permanent hearing loss. When this happens, a person may also develop tinnitus, or ringing in the ears.

In a study published in the June 2010 issue of the American Journal of Audiology, authors Raymond H. Hull and Stacy R. Kerschen reviewed research conducted over the past 60 years on cardiovascular health and its influence on hearing health. Their findings confirm that impaired cardiovascular health negatively affects both the peripheral and central auditory system, especially in older adults.

2 Likes