Are there any contraindications for rapamycin Use?

I am planning to trial adding rapamycin to my stack if I can source it. I’m wondering if there are any contraindications with other popular longevity supplements and/or drugs? I am also wondering if it interferes with exercise /muscle gain since I work out regularly. I am planning to trial 2-4 mg per week /4 weeks on 4 weeks off.

1 Like

Based on my experience over the past almost 2-years - I think you are good!

My muscle strength is better - I have increased my maximum by 10 pounds on machines about every 4 months. Up 40 pounds from when I started. I work out on machines at 160 pounds. I weight 185 lbs. No loss of muscle - but more shredded - pure muscles. absolutely no fat.

2 Likes

See this long thread on rapamycin and exercise

Rather amazing that the only contraindication is “Rapamune / rapamycin is contraindicated in patients with a hypersensitivity to Rapamune / rapamycin”… seems likely to be a pretty rare scenario…

But the warnings for rapamune / rapamycin are predominantly focused on / appropriate for, the organ transplant patients where the doses are daily vs. weekly ( or every two weeks as the case may be for some people in the anti-aging community).

These two (reduced wound healing, and hyperlipidemia) seem like they do sometimes happen for people dosing rapamycin weekly:

5.6 Fluid Accumulation and Impairment of Wound Healing

There have been reports of impaired or delayed wound healing in patients receiving Rapamune, including lymphocele and wound dehiscence [see Adverse Reactions (6.1)]. Mammalian target of rapamycin (mTOR) inhibitors such as sirolimus have been shown in vitroto inhibit production of certain growth factors that may affect angiogenesis, fibroblast proliferation, and vascular permeability. Lymphocele, a known surgical complication of renal transplantation, occurred significantly more often in a dose-related fashion in patients treated with Rapamune [see Adverse Reactions (6.1)]. Appropriate measures should be considered to minimize such complications. Patients with a body mass index (BMI) greater than 30 kg/m2 may be at increased risk of abnormal wound healing based on data from the medical literature.

There have also been reports of fluid accumulation, including peripheral edema, lymphedema, pleural effusion, ascites, and pericardial effusions (including hemodynamically significant effusions and tamponade requiring intervention in children and adults), in patients receiving Rapamune.

5.7 Hyperlipidemia

Increased serum cholesterol and triglycerides requiring treatment occurred more frequently in patients treated with Rapamune compared with azathioprine or placebo controls in Studies 1 and 2 [see Adverse Reactions (6.1)]. There were increased incidences of hypercholesterolemia (43–46%) and/or hypertriglyceridemia (45–57%) in patients receiving Rapamune compared with placebo controls (each 23%). The risk/benefit should be carefully considered in patients with established hyperlipidemia before initiating an immunosuppressive regimen including Rapamune.

Any patient who is administered Rapamune should be monitored for hyperlipidemia. If detected, interventions such as diet, exercise, and lipid-lowering agents should be initiated as outlined by the National Cholesterol Education Program guidelines.

In clinical trials of patients receiving Rapamune plus cyclosporine or Rapamune after cyclosporine withdrawal, up to 90% of patients required treatment for hyperlipidemia and hypercholesterolemia with anti-lipid therapy (e.g., statins, fibrates). Despite anti-lipid management, up to 50% of patients had fasting serum cholesterol levels >240 mg/dL and triglycerides above recommended target levels. The concomitant administration of Rapamune and HMG-CoA reductase inhibitors resulted in adverse reactions such as CPK elevations (3%), myalgia (6.7%) and rhabdomyolysis (<1%). In these trials, the number of patients was too small and duration of follow-up too short to evaluate the long-term impact of Rapamune on cardiovascular mortality.

During Rapamune therapy with or without cyclosporine, patients should be monitored for elevated lipids, and patients administered an HMG-CoA reductase inhibitor and/or fibrate should be monitored for the possible development of rhabdomyolysis and other adverse effects, as described in the respective labeling for these agents.

See the full list here, but remember, most of these are for daily dosing transplant patients:

I’ve had road rash many times, usually takes at least 2 weeks to clear up but I had my accident saturday and today some of the scabs are already falling off. I have another deeper lesion which required stitches and has a with a skin defect. I wonder how that will heal, to early to tell yet but I’ll let you know

3 Likes