Are the effects of Rapamycin permanent?

Are the effects of Rapamycin permanent? Or if you stop taking it, do you fairly quickly lose the benefits you accrued from it?

4 Likes

My son had a similar choking issue (possibly neurological) that I also had and after being on rapamycin for 3 months it completely stopped for him. He stopped taking rapamycin and it’s been about a year and it hasn’t come back. My dysphagia issue resolved too after 6 months… but I still take rapamycin.

Matt Kaeberlein said something similar to this… he had frozen shoulder syndrome that was causing him pain. He took rapamycin 8 weeks and then when he stopped taking the rapamycin the frozen shoulder did not return because the issue had been remedied… like our choking issue. Repaired and gone.

Issues repaired tend to stay fixed. Perhaps they return… but it is like a restart… only at the point in aging process… so maybe 5 or 10 years? A guess.

8 Likes

Hi Agetron

Thank you very much indeed for your very informative reply.

I wonder if the same can be said for Rapamycin’s efect on aging “clocks”, in particular the epigenetic clock.

1 Like

My experience with TruMe epigenetic DNA methylation test is that once the rapamycin took me back 13 years - biological age of 50 years. I was chronological age 63 year I’ve done the test 2 more times 6 months apart and I’m aging but as if it was 13 years younger. Biological age 51… chronological age 64.

Does this make sense. I have gone back as far as I can on my current plan of rapamycin and supplements… 13 years. Now I am aging normally… just at a 13 year difference.

I have changed a few things… adding Acarbose and a few anti-aging supplements… hopefully to push back a few more years.

4 Likes

Thats actually a fairly complex issue. Let me give you some examples…

There is research showing that even if mice are dosed for a relatively short period of time (e.g. 3 month) in mid-life, that these mice still live longer, so the benefit (in terms of lifespan) persists. See this paper:

More generally, research suggests that rapamycin reverses age-related disfunction in many organs and tissues: Can Rapamycin repair your organs and therefore reverse aging?

But obviously, it doesn’t stop aging entirely - the mice and animals in the studies still die, so aging continues, albeit at a slower rate (it seems).

In my own experience - I’ve been taking rapamycin for over 3 years, but paused it for the past few months because I’m involved in a clinical trial that didn’t want me on rapamycin. During this time off rapamycin I’ve found my energy levels tend to trend downwards back to baseline prior to taking rapamycin. My sleep isn’t as good as when I was on rapamycin.

So - as you can see, its complex.

7 Likes

Thank you Agetron and RapAdmin very much indeed fro your very informative replies.

1 Like