Alex K. Chen metabolic / CGM progress (my "everything in longevity" thread)

Wow for keto the max protein guideline is literally just 1.6454 equals 288 calories of protein per day for me max. That is REALLY HARD and one entire tofu could take me over wow…

Vegetables alone have protein too

2 Likes

I just discovered https://longevity.technology/news/back-to-biology-eric-verdin-talks-nmn-and-longevity-supplements/ today. Last time, NR did not boost my NAD+. but NMN is one step closer so I’ll try.

I’ve been reading through everything posted by Eric Verdin. My BG levels now (after a week of very low carb) are lower and steadier than ever before. Eric Verdin’s research is very validating whereas there used to be very little research on keto. But it also shows that keto probably isn’t going to produce major gains in life expectancy. Also, mice overeat on keto (aka it doesn’t decrease appetite that much), and he has used alternating keto (mice lose weight VERY quickly after 2 days of fasting so maybe the “keto incubation period” is shorter for mice than people).

I’m going to continue to avoid high-carb foods, but it isn’t practical to continue to avoid super-healthy food just b/c if has carbs in it. I’m also not as emotionally damaged as I was 1.5 weeks ago.

This is what one bag of cauliflower rice (20g carbs)

And a small handful of blueberries did

related: Nutrients | Free Full-Text | Short-Term Low-Carbohydrate High-Fat Diet in Healthy Young Males Renders the Endothelium Susceptible to Hyperglycemia-Induced Damage, An Exploratory Analysis (they didn’t even report
glucose levels…) let me ask the author. same person behind Ketone drink could help diabetics by lowering blood sugar -- ScienceDaily

Interesting it goes back to below normal, I wonder if it is BHB

I was hyperalert and reading lots of hard research papers in the very early hours of the morning despite hypoglycemia. Then super-tired (mental exhaustion) and slept a few hours and only watched videos on the Imjin War and Battle of Monte Cassino (yeah military history is totally my weakness…)

Am very very very slow to get alert late today though m not keto adapted yet

Ate a small handful of blueberries late today with little impact on glucose. Am not mentioning my high fat meals bc they definitely don’t affect BG

I want to understand ketosis better because it is WAY easier to do than CR and it might give just the same benefits (this is unknown, I still need to understand the papers better).

Even after berries

I think I can self limit calories even with fewer vegetables if I eat more from olives and nut milks and chocolate (knowing that I will always overeat nuts/avocados)

I did a huge amount of research on 90th percentile mice lifespan curves today I can’t believe I never bothered till today. Esp interested in the keto mice (they live longer but not as long as rapamycin + metformin mice but srsly NO ONE has combined keto, rapamycin, and metformin)…

1 Like

I think driving my average BG down from 90 to 70 is a huge deal, whether or not I fully succeeded at keto.

Rapamycin+metformin+keto has never been tried but super-worth trying. Bryan Johnson is KIND of in this direction.

1 Like

My G7 fell off at 3am this morning, but I thought I would put together a comparison from Feb/March 2022 with my current glucose handling. Some extracts are above. The first charts are from a G6 and the second from a G7. I am not quite sure of the absolute values. My breakfast has been consistent for a number of years (at least during the working week) and it does include two slices of toast and some other carbs. What I see is that my current glucose handling runs in a much narrower range of blood sugar (multiply by 18 for the other units) than it was doing in early 2022. I had seen that in a really low HbA1c (4.18% on one test), but I can see from this that I have made progress.

Wow, 4.18% HbA1c is so good.

BHB also decreases glucose level (Eric Verdin says this and uses this to advertise his BHB esters). Eventually they will become cheaper. They are worth testing. I think getting keto-adapted (or adapted to fat-burning) first is important (this can take a few weeks). But I don’t know if I want to do keto forever, b/c it means missing out on so much legitly healthy food.

BHB is most of the benefit of keto and it can be exogeneously supplemented, but I don’t know when BHB will become as good as endogenous keto, esp b/c administering BHB to your cells will not force your cells to be fat-adapted/not so addicted to carbs.

“fat adaptation”, an intervention in which well-trained endurance athletes consume a high-fat, low-CHO diet for up to 2 weeks while undertaking their normal training and then immediately follow this by CHO restoration (consuming a high-CHO diet and tapering for 1-3 days before a major endurance event). Compared with an isoenergetic CHO diet for the same intervention period, this “dietary periodization” protocol increases the rate of whole-body and muscle fat oxidation while attenuating the rate of muscle glycogenolysis during submaximal exercise. Of note is that these metabolic perturbations favouring the oxidation of fat persist even in the face of restored endogenous CHO stores and increased exogenous CHO availability

2 weeks (even avoiding beans and most carrots), it is not so hard. It is too bad that most bags of frozen vegetables have carrots in them.

1 Like

That was only in one test. (and I picked the best one). Also there are two types of HbA1c the aldimine and the ketoamine. Some tests only report the ketoamine (I think the immunofluoresence analyzers).

Still when you look at the glucose handling there are hardly any high peaks now it tends to run in a 3 mmol/l range.

hba1c

1 Like

Ok so your estimated average glucose is 73. eAG/A1C Conversion Calculator | American Diabetes Association

That’s pretty good, and you don’t seem to be in ketosis.

• 3.9 mmol/L = 70.27 mg/dL

Holy shit I just discovered this

https://www.safeway.com/shop/product-details.107150014.html

165 calories per CAN of olives (or 1 calorie/gram of olive). This is the lowest I’ve seen anywhere.

==
Also, after getting a REAL water filter, I am much less reluctant to drink water (yes, microaggressions like that) and this probably will help me reduce calorie consumption long-run. I do drink lots of nut milks, but it’s nice to have something other than nut milks, esp b/c I specifically filter microplastics out of this.

I am not as far as I know in ketosis. I am trying to lose weight in a rather undisciplined manner where I go out with my children for dinner get drunk and eat things I should not.

The breakfast on all the days represented in the CGM charts was the same viz two slices of toast, some baked beans, 1 sausage, 3 rashers of well fried bacon and two mugs of tea. Hence the glucose response should be essentially the same.

Can you use acarbose with beans and carrots and stay in ketosis?

I’ve noticed when using BHB salts that it lets my glucose go lower, but this is with good keto habits. I don’t know if the average person took exogenous ketones if it would lower glucose very much.

I’m very interested because my oldest daughter has a particularly bad form of cancer (ovarian mucosal with KRAS) and chemo doesn’t work. She’s been using massive doses of vitamin C and went vegan because of things she has read on the internet. I can’t really disagree with the diet choice except that it is not even close to keto. The opposite in fact, with her getting most all calories from starch. At her age and with kids of her own, I can only point things out and make suggestions, but I know when glucose goes down the receptors go up and the cancer cells will take up the vitamin C better and die faster. So I was looking for a way to lower glucose without just injecting insulin, which is what the expensive and far away clinics do.

Would exogenous BHB do that?

2 Likes

I don’t know. If it blocks absorption of some % of the calories, it makes it easier. Fat-adaptation is the most important thing.

But the body is REALLY adopted to carb burning even if you eat low-GI carbs, and you need super-low-carb to force it into fat-burning. Yes, my BG levels do not spike when I eat beans, but even then, beans still increase my BG, as I now know (b/c my BG levels, when I severely restrict carbs, are now in the 60s). I know when I did a metabolic test, it showed me as being a very heavy carb-burner (and not a fat-burner)

1 Like

Alex - have you tried the BHB esters at all?

I wonder if they have any effect on the blood glucose curves? Have you read up on them at all? Is it recommended that people already be working on a Keto-type diet to use them? Are the benefits negated if you are eating carbs while taking the BHB esters?

1 Like

I have one bottle but am not aggressive in trying for now
Prefer to wait for periods of time when I do need a cheat meal

Eggplant and blueberries

I stopped doing keto for a bit 2 days ago (social reasons/free food → enough veggies will elevate BG), blood glucose levels are now more normal (but no glucose spikes). Am just going to wait for ketone esters. I only needed 4 hours of sleep last night! (and very little for most of the past week). Have not been getting hypoglycemic the last two days either (and yes going hypoglycemic does feel bad)

resting heart rate increased to 81.

But again, needing less sleep makes keto worth it in itself so I’ll continue to eat high-fat and avoid legumes and most fruits. A week of constant hypoglycemia might be enough to shift my metabolism into fat-burning mode which is what matters way more than long-term keto.

i did SO MUCH research into eric verdin/juvlabs earlier this week - this could change EVERYTHING. Edward Kmett does ketone esters and he only needs 3-4 hours of sleep per night.

I feel much better now than the beginning of this year.

Horrifying surprise… acai berries spiked to 143… then 166… shit… i did like 3 heapful spoons worth of it (which was probably like 5-6 tablespoons total?)

1 Like

I have updated blood tests. All my lab results here - General Health and Longevity - CR Society Forum

High fat/low carb over the past 40 days, but no real change in biomarkers (yet). Intend to continue for a while b/c I like not having to take acarbose/SGLT2 inhibitors and olives make it easy enough to stay low-carb

My RDW went way up and I don’t know why. I wonder if energy drinks (even Rowdy ones) did it in…