Acarbose with food extends mice lifespan, does Acarbose "without" food also extend mice lifespan?

Car crashes don’t last very long either but they can certainly cause a lot of damage. I view glucose spikes in a similar yet obviously not as severe fashion.

I believe the biggest advantage of Acarbose is the SCFA production. Instead of having your gut microbiome convert carbs into sugar, you are having your biome turn the carbs into SCFAs which are cardio and Neuro protective and also reduce blood pressure.

4 Likes

This study says glucose spikes are damaging only with insulin resistance (chronically high blood glucose)…in rats.

2 Likes

Yes - I think that may have traditionally been thought to be the case…

But the NIA ITP studies with Acarbose and Canagliflozin seem to indicate otherwise (though by no way is the case closed, I think). The fact that Acarbose and Canagliflozin are so successful in lifespan extension while lowering blood glucose spikes via different mechanisms, suggest that the blood glucose spikes are harmful.

4 Likes

I’d rather achieve very high fecal bile acid and SCFA from my food.

https://www.academia.edu/download/49831900/Effect_of_a_very-high-fiber_vegetable_fr20161024-6581-zcnqgd.pdf

The massive quantities of dietary fiber I tolerated in my 40s and early 50s weren’t working so well in my late 50s but everything is fine now that I am taking digestive enzymes. I’m getting around 50 g fiber/day with about 1500 kcal/day.

2 Likes

What enzymes do you use?

Wholesome Wellness Digestive Enzymes 1000MG Plus Prebiotics & Probiotics Supplement, 180 Capsules, Organic Plant-Based Vegan Formula for Digestion & Lactose with Amylase & Bromelain,

I’m sure there is better and cheaper but I got tired of looking and they work.

2 Likes

Thanks. I have use Doctors Best Digestive Enzymes off and on. I couldn’t say if it helped. I’ll try yours.

I take 2 before each meal. I’m 101 lbs. You might need 3 or 4. Try that with yours before switching.

1 Like

Good idea. I’m definitely taking less than that when I do take it.

Also just learned yesterday that glucose spikes are quite bad for your mitochondria as they fragment mitochondrial chains.

1 Like

Taking 2-3X the bottle dose made a big difference. Thanks.

1 Like

On Acarbose, didn’t the study say longevity benefit only on male?

No - 17% lifespan improvement in males, a little lower in females but still good. Acarbose - Details On Another Top Anti-Aging Drug

You’re thinking of canagliflozin, which worked in males, not in females.

4 Likes

Very interesting. @AnUser @L_Hayes do you have any thoughts on this? Might fit with your goals.

Acarbose: safe and effective for lowering postprandial hyperglycaemia and improving cardiovascular outcomes

James J DiNicolantonio,1 Jaikrit Bhutani,2 and James H O’Keefe1

5 Likes

This is great to hear. Can you share a bit more Chris?

1 Like

I saw it in a video when I made the post. Unfortunately, it was so long ago, I forgot which one. Sorry.

ok, thx, I’ll look a bit when I have more time and see what I can find.

They had diabetes. But I could try it.

1 Like

Do you think it was based on this study:

Using a geroscience approach to mitochondrial disease, we expose a connection between neurological mitochondrial disorders and the intestinal microbiome

Acarbose suppresses symptoms of mitochondrial disease in a mouse model of Leigh syndrome

Nature Metabolism

Published: 26 June 2023

https://www.nature.com/articles/s42255-023-00815-w

Discussed on twitter and then here on this thread: Acarbose suppresses symptoms of mitochondrial disease in a mouse model of Leigh syndrome

Adding @adssx given interest in neuro/mitochondria health.

1 Like

The effect of acarbose on lipid profiles in adults: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized clinical trials 2023

The findings of this study suggest that acarbose can reduce serum levels of TG and TC. However, no significant effects were observed on LDL or HDL levels.

3 Likes