Acarbose, An mTORC2 Promoter We Should All Take?

True, but there is still a dose response. We just don’t know why…

But - it does seem like the benefit maxes out around the 1000ppm, so perhaps thats the ideal intestinal concentration for this drug. There is no added benefit at 2500ppm over the 1000ppm.

more benefit in males, whose median lifespans were increased by the three doses by 11%, 17%, and 16%,

2 Likes

Am I the only one that thinks this is a bit odd. SGLT2’s work in the kidneys which have decreased activity at night. An SGLT2 isn’t going to deplete body glucose, and I don’t know what it means to declutter a mitochondria?

2 Likes

For an average person, taking a SGLT2 inhibitor at night would have an addictive effect on natural circadian rhythm and functions- that’s the hypothesis anyway.

SGLT2 will not “deplete” glucose but yes, the drug will perform functions regulate glucose over night. I can’t think of why it wouldn’t, but regardless it’s proven to do so- day or night.

1 Like

Its mechanism of action would be less active at night I would think.

1 Like

Morning vs night study on Jardiance here

Results: T max increased by 35% in the evening phase compared to the morning phase, while C maxdecreased by -6.5% in the evening dose compared to the morning dose. Additionally, AUC 0 to ∞increased in the evening phase by 8.25% compared to the morning phase. The mean cumulative amount of glucose excreted (UGE ( 0-24)) increased by 43% in the evening dose compared to the morning dose

Conclusion: Despite the difference in pharmacokinetics parameters between evening and morning doses, C max, AUC 0-t, AUC 0-∞, didn’t differ on the bioequivalence level. In addition, as UGE ( 0-24) didn’t statistically differ, thus, we can conclude that there is no statistical significance between the morning and evening doses.

4 Likes

Biologically speaking, their cannot be a meaningful difference. I don’t mean this personally, but if you do not have a background in molecular biology this can all be difficult to understand, but this website has a group of people with these backgrounds- myself inc. that you can learn from. I have learned so much, we’re lucky to have such a strong forum.

2 Likes

I was able to pick up a little biology during medical school.

5 Likes

Great article with interesting results. I guess long 1/2 life has significant impact.

1 Like

Isn’t this what we really care about , the amount of glucose exerted? I mean you could argue that we don’t really care about the “Cmax”, or “Tmax” or AUC in this case - its the results that matter; glucose excreted?

Of course, if the benefits we seek are coming from something other than just blood glucose reduction (which increasingly seems likely given the plethora of beneficial effects of SLT2 inhibitors), you want all of these. But at least if you take it at night you can feel comfortable knowing that " C max, AUC 0-t, AUC 0-∞, didn’t differ on the bioequivalence level."

4 Likes

Before starting a Carnivore diet, I was taking acarbose, but it caused terrible gas. I’m curious about the effects of acarbose on my pure Keto diet. Are there any benefits beyond blocking carbohydrate absorption?

I experienced the same thing when I first started taking acarbose and even stopped taking it because of the gas etc.
Then I went on a low-carb diet and started retaking it because I had ordered a year’s supply from India on hand and believed it might have other beneficial effects.
Of course, there was a little gassiness even with low-carb meals, but I had less than I had before. I was only taking it if the meal wasn’t low-carb, so I didn’t take it for every meal.
After a while, I noticed when I took acarbose with a high-carb meal, even ones that had a wheat content that I had little or no gas from the acarbose. I am not taking probiotics.
My theory is that over time, acarbose changed my gut microbiome.
So, it would be interesting to know if anyone else had the same experience; that acarbose changes your gut microbiome, and your body adjusts to it.

5 Likes

Just to add on to DesertShores’ comment - I too had unbelievable gas when I first started Acarbose. Over time and with a shift in my diet away from wheat products, my gas has gone down to a minimal level (still more than normal, but not at a bothersome level). I take acarbose with every meal.

3 Likes

I went from turning my room into a gas chamber to not noticing anything within weeks.

4 Likes

Yes, I can relate, and feared my wife might leave me for that reason alone :slight_smile:

1 Like

lol you would- again, non-personal. I just thought “think” was to assume, that’s where I was coming from.

I don’t understand medicine to the degree you do, we all come from different backgrounds.

1 Like

I think it depends on different variables. In the context of a healthy population, maybe, but not in the case of diabetes which half the population has a varying degree of processing and utilizing energy. The problem is it’s difficult to measure metabolic dysfunction in all its complexities at an end-tissue level.

2 Likes

Doesn’t that seem to make sense. Why would we be reducing blood glucose into our urine at night? If we did, we’d be up all night peeing and that doesn’t happen as far as I can tell.

I always assume that there are things I don’t know or fully understand.

2 Likes

What time of day do you typically dose with your SGLT2 inhibitor?

When I tried it, I took it in the morning for fear I’d be up all night peeing. Unfounded fear. I quit taking it because of fatigue and excess hunger.

3 Likes