Should I take Rapamycin before cholesterol checkup

Thanks, the hitch is I started Crestor a month before the Rapamycin. It would be nice to see how the Crestor is working on without any potential effects of the Rapamycin but the Doctor said when he prescribed the statin that after my first follow up she will probably add Rapatha because cholesterol / ApoB is so high that a statin alone won’t put in a healthy range (looks like I have FH). From what I know about Rapatha is that it works so well that any increase from the Rapamycin won’t matter.

1 Like

Looks like Rapatha may cause some pretty serious side effects. I’m trying niacin and taurine now. My mother, 90, has very high LDL, but still functions pretty well, drives, independent, etc.

Do you have any links / sources?

Not sure I have much of a choice all indications look like I have genetically high ApoB / cholesteral (however you want to define it). And…one grandfather died of heart faluire at 73. The other grandfather had bypass surgery at 73.

I simply googled if. Don’t have any personal experience with it. It’s a difficult decision for sure!

When condidering that heart disease is by far the number one cause of death, it’s a pretty easy decision. I’m suprised at how many people who are taking rapamycin seem to be less concerned about heart disease and it’s association with athrogenic particle count

1 Like

“A new national study has shown that nearly 75 percent of patients hospitalized for a heart attack had cholesterol levels that would indicate they were not at high risk for a cardiovascular event, based on current national cholesterol guidelines.

Specifically, these patients had low-density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol levels that met current guidelines, and close to half had LDL levels classified in guidelines as optimal (less than 100 mg/dL).”

https://www.uclahealth.org/news/most-heart-attack-patients-cholesterol-levels-did-not-indicate-cardiac-risk

These are from the article you linked:

“While the risk of cardiovascular events increases substantially with LDL levels above 40–60 mg/dL, current national cholesterol guidelines consider LDL levels less than 100–130 mg/dL acceptable for many individuals”

Looks like its because guidelines are not aiming low enough

also:

“only 21 percent of patients in the study were taking lipid-lowering medications before admission, despite almost half having a prior history of cardiovascular events, which would prompt treatment.”

“We found that less than 2 percent of heart attack patients had both ideal LDL and HDL cholesterol levels, so there is room for improvement,” said Fonarow.

I also heard that when people have a heart attack, their ldl-c and total cholesteral levels drop suddenly in response to the injury. It’s called Acute Phase Response.

1 Like

In an earlier post in this thread (Should I take Rapamycin before cholesteral checkup - #10 by jjrap1) I mentioned I would get a lipid test to test if the lower and less frequent statin use + suppliments listed would affect my LDL. Indeed it did; it went from 185 (or 178) DOWN to 77! That’s ~100 points lower. HDL and TRI basically stayed the same. I’m amazed!

2 Likes

WOW, rapamycin increases LDL?!?!?!?!? Is it b/c it just increases blood lipids in general? (which metformin can reduce?) Also is it prolonged like for 7-14 days? Does it also affect blood pressure?

I noticed an increase in my LDL in recent years and was slightly concerned but it also coincided with my c-reactive protein AND RBW going down so was not too concerned.

Also I’ve seen recent posters showing negligible (in fact, SLIGHT NEGATIVE) correlation between LDL cholesterol and other metrics of aging (epigenetic + proteomic)

1 Like

I recently had my cholesterol / ApoB checked after two months of starting 20mg of Rosuvastatin (prescribed by my doctor) and 6mg of Rapamycin. My LDL-C went down from 288 mg/dl to 90 and ApoB went down from 175 mg/dl to 87. It looks like Rapamycin did not have an adverse effect on my lipids or counter act the statin medication.

1 Like

jjrap1, In reference to your earlier post about doxylamine succinate, I agree, try to stop it if you can. Whenever I use it, which is seldom, the next day my mood and energy level is very subdued even to the point of having a bad attitude. I do, however, take diphenhydramine (benadryl) nightly and it has a less noticeable effect on mood and energy. I took nothing last night and noticed how much better my energy and attitude are today. It is a conundrum when you’re wide awake in the middle of the night, though. So, I understand your sleep problem thoroughly.

@Jay, benadryl apparently can be problematic for folks with BPH (=me)! I used to use it to good effect when I was younger but no more!

Have they tracked the cholesterol levels longitudinally though? Did they stratify cholesterol levels by metrics of ROS/inflammation?

What you really DO NOT want is the combination of cholesterol + ROS/inflammation. Cholesterol itself is not the most horrible thing (and essential for lysosome repair!)

Jose Ricon is a LDL/cholesterol minimalist, but I’m not sure if I agree with him (this is not his area of expertise). Mike Lustgarten also showed higher results

Also it’s not just LDL - it’s VLDL and LDL particle size and

my LDL increased 1 point after taking rapamycin for 6 weeks. Not a huge increase but an increase none the less. Oddly my triglycerides slightly dropped and my HDL increased. I’m not to sure if its entirely rapamycin but I’ll be monitoring closely.

Supplements to consider to improve sleep time and reduce middle of the night wake ups
I have used these in the past to good effect, but after taking rapamycin for many months my sleep improved to the point that I no longer need them.

l-tryptophan. 1-3 grams one hour before bed.
Taurine 1-3 grams
"Taurine is a type of amino acid that aids in calming anxiety levels by supporting the function of the neurotransmitter GABA, which allows the brain to shut off and encourages rest. Supplements containing 1 to 3 grams of taurine should be taken before bedtime to see full benefits.

"8 Sleep Supplements to Count Instead of Sheep - Everwell.

1 Like

Yes, I have tried GABA and it works pretty well but leaves me drowsy the following day.

I see you ordered 300 pills. If i’m ordering from the US should I keep it under 200 pills like Rapamycin to avoid customs seizure?

The shipping box will probably be the same size. As the supplier doesn’t list the actual contents, it should be safe for fairly large orders. But, that’s just my opinion, not advice.

2 Likes