Fighting Alzheimer’s with Increased Autophagy via Rapamycin + Trehalose

Another skunk works project!

2 Likes

This is all great - but we really need the researchers to be funded for some major studies evaluating all the different possible autophagy stimulators (individually and in combination), and to also study optimal dosing and impact on lifespan and healthspan, and tissue specific impacts … in mice and humans…

2 Likes

Doesn’t seem like there is a risk of blood glucose disregulation or metabolic syndrome… in fact the opposite, perhaps?

Full paper below:

mizote2016.pdf (693.5 KB)

Sounds like it’s worth trying.
I’ll add it to my modified citrus pectin.

Vs 10g sugar control!! An evilish low bar.

Sorry what a dysfunctional study.

I havent consumed 10g sugar in 6 yrs.

1 Like

Got my supply today and put ~13.5 grams ( one even tablespoonful) on my normal first meal of oatmeal, walnuts, wheat germ, and blueberries, which has a fair amount of semi-high glycemic carbs. I usually sweeten with stevia but today I used trehalose. We will disregard this first result as a possible placebo effect, but 2 hrs after, my blood glucose was 103mg/dL as compared to my normal 125mg/dL after eating this meal.
I must say trehalose is not very sweet and has a slightly bitter aftertaste.

4 Likes

That’s funny, I eat the same exact thing on many days.
What brand did you get?
That’s a pretty impressive drop.

BulkSupplements, no particular reason except they have been reasonable and reliable.
As I said so far it’s a one-off. But it is supposed to increase insulin sensitivity but after only one dose? Time will tell.

1 Like

Have you tried allulose? It’s maybe 2/3 as sweet as sugar, comes closest to the taste of sucrose of anything I’ve ever tried, and is almost exclusively excreted via the urine. If you check PubMed, multiple studies showing great promise for insulin sensitivity and body recomposition, etc.

1 Like

No, I haven’t tried it yet. How does work in your gut? Any excess gas etc?

No gas at all except in really high doses. It’s fully absorbed and then excreted through the urine. I mainly use it in my morning coffee and in cereal.

1 Like

I will give it a try and compare my glucose levels using allulose vs trehalose. Damn, but I just bought a year’s supply of trehalose.

1 Like

:laughing::laughing: Maybe they synergize in taste and efficacy if mixed together? Or maybe your coffee will explode, but I hope not!

desert shores, was not the reason/purpose to include/add trehalose was to apply what was in the study?

1 Like

He’s got a point! Allulose is a great sugar substitute with potential metabolic health benefits, but I don’t know of any pro-autophagy effect, especially in the brain.

Okay, I guess I’ll give trehalose a try and see how much it spikes my blood sugar. This mouse model shows how trehalose suppresses autoimmunity.

My family has no history of Alzheimer’s or dementia but my mother developed type II diabetes and insulin resistance seems to go along with aging. I am primarily looking to increase insulin sensitivity.

“Studies have shown that trehalose can significantly modulate insulin sensitivity via at least 7 molecular pathways leading to better control of hyperglycemia.”
Molecular mechanisms of trehalose in modulating glucose homeostasis in diabetes

5 Likes

Too much?
Yesterday I tried 27 grams of Trehalose in divided doses. Today I had diarrhea.
Well, Trehalose is another one of those pesky disaccharides, maltose being the more common one. I should have done a little more research as I already know from past experience that eating too much sugar-free chocolate sweetened with maltose caused me to have diarrhea.
I will have to back off. Fortunately, as little as 3 grams daily has some benefits.

"In the present study, we determined whether a lower dose (3.3 g/day) of trehalose improves glucose tolerance in healthy Japanese volunteers. "

Many people can tolerate much higher doses, but I would suggest one should go easy to start with.
“Transitory Laxative Threshold of Trehalose and Lactulose in
Healthy Women”
https://www.jstage.jst.go.jp/article/jnsv1973/44/6/44_6_787/_pdf

4 Likes

I’m trying 2 teaspoons tomorrow mid-morning on an empty stomach with no exogenous insulin, and see what happens to my blood sugar. My guess is from -10 to +30 mg/dL change in blood sugar after 2 hours. I have no idea, but I hope it is minimal.

1 Like

Are you using finger prick measure, or CGM? Please test at 30min, and 2 hours. I will do the same.

1 Like