Astaxanthin: A Potential Treatment in Disease and Aging, Lifespan Increase

FWIW, I have used turmeric in cooking for a while. But my latest blood panel indicated some sort of liver injury (ASAT and GGT values), so I stopped all supplements two weeks back (but in the meantime restored mag and urolithin A). I googled my supplements in cunjunction with liver injury, and found that turmeric products have recently been implicated in over a dozen instances of clinically apparent acute liver injury (May 2021). This effect might be fostered by black pepper, that increases the bioavailability of curcumin:

Importantly, means of increasing the bioavailability of curcumin were developed using piperine (black pepper) or nanoparticle delivery methods to increase absorption. These high bioavailability forms of turmeric were subsequently linked to several cases of liver injury and mentioned as a possible cause of outbreaks of acute hepatitis with jaundice in Italy. The clinical features of the liver injury attributed to high bioavailable forms of turmeric have recently become better defined. The latency to onset of liver injury has varied from a few weeks to as long as eight months but is typically 1 to 3 months. The onset is insidious with fatigue, nausea and poor appetite followed by dark urine and jaundice.

The only symptom listed that I also had was dark(er) urine. Maybe I just took too much of it on a one day or week. For example, I remember having drank a whole glass of hot turmeric in a restaurant (itā€™s served as a drink, and I found it quite good, actually). I will wait another two weeks and check my liver values again. But I have to say, since two weeks, Iā€™m doing very good.

If it stays that way, Iā€™m going to get rid of a bunch of supplementsā€¦

1 Like

Your math is right but that feels like a completely insane amount of astxanthin.

3 Likes

Unlikely to OD with astaxanthin, but this amount will definitely make your skin pink color.

1 Like

rivasp12, How pronounced are these twitches? Are they in the category of an unexplained knee jerk or head jerk while sitting or are they much less noticeable? What comes to my mind as a non-medical person is that muscle twitches may also be a side effect of increased serotonin levels from anti-depressant medications (I think). So, with my very non-medical training I wonder if there may be some effect on serotonin levels when taking astaxanthin or curcumin supplements. These are just my ā€œshot in the darkā€ thoughts.

1 Like

Not pronounced. Can be at rest or after exercise. Definitely associated with astaxanthin and curcumin.

How to look like lobster without getting too much sun? I wonder if this supplier is using a reputable raw material provider, or just using some cheap Chinese product (whoā€™s quality I would not trust)?

1 Like

FWIWā€¦
Those that are not aware astaxanthin is feed to farmed salmon to make there flesh pink and marketable. Otherwise the farmed raised salmons flesh would be gray. And would not be very marketable.

2 Likes

And its why flamingos are pink. Someone should do a lifespan study on white vs. pink flamingos :-).

My biggest concern on Astaxanthin suppliers would be the source and possible contaminantsā€¦ if anyone finds any good research on this, please post.

2 Likes

Farmed Astaxanthin is better they say, as it is easier to control the environment it grows in.
IHerbā€™s brand California Gold is supposed to be good and tested, cheapest price as well. I use that brand in 14mg capsules.

Goran,

Yes - those are fine, but Iā€™d like to see if there are good, quality sources for the powder in higher bulk quantities. The ITP Astaxanthin lifespan studies seems to be using a dose that would be equivalent to about 3 grams per day in humans - so the 12mg product doesnā€™t really work for that type of dosing.

Seems like a supplier like this is more reputable, and given the large volumes used of this stuff in fish feed, etc. - I have to believe someone is selling it at a reasonable cost:

https://www.fujichemical.co.jp/english/newsletter/newsletter_nutra_0801.html

1 Like

Yep, thats probably a very good choice. Japanese knows their seafood stuff.

1 Like

Ducks live 10 years
Geese 15
Pink Flamingos 50

9 Likes

Interesting news and paper:

"significant attenuating effect (of astaxanthin) on low-density lipoprotein cholesterol "

3 Likes

Somewhat confusing because in the results marked 3.4.7 they state that AST increased LDL, but in the discussion AST reduced LDL . Did I see that correctly?

1 Like

Lol yes I saw that too and was about to post the same question! Very confusing, and that table in the paper didnā€™t help me either. Was this paper peer-reviewed?

1 Like

This may be largely a myth among humans. Once when I was young and trying to find a supplement that would replicate a sun tan, I tried large doses of astaxanthin, as much as I could afford. I really donā€™t remember the dosages, but it was a lot of capsules. I took it for three months and didnā€™t notice the slightest change in skin tone. How much would you have to take to change your skin color? I donā€™t know, but I think it would be a lot. Have you seen any studies that reference a change in skin color?

1 Like

Astaxanthin isnā€™t the best carotenoid to change skin color. Others such as lutein are more effective, but itā€™s kind of a yellowish cast. Still, the mild yellowish hue is more attractive per a published study. This video is a bit dated but is a good overview:
Golden Glow | NutritionFacts.org

And yes, i can vouch for the fact that carotenoids do turn your skin yellow/orange. Iā€™ve done it several times in the past with various multi-carotenoid supplements. First thing youā€™ll notice is your palms are suddenly yellow.

1 Like
2 Likes

From the first paper titled;

Astaxanthin as a Potential Neuroprotective Agent for Neurological Diseases

ā€œFor instance, astaxanthin can dramatically decrease the risk of cardiovascular disease [14]. A diet supplemented with astaxanthin (75 or 200 mg/kg body weight per day) for 8 weeks has been shown to improve endothelium-dependent vasodilatation in resistance vessels, reduce systolic blood pressure, and improve cardiovascular remodeling in spontaneously hypertensive rats [15]. In addition, astaxanthin (100 and 500 mg/100 g) for 60 days protects against serum protein oxidation in hyper-cholesterolemic rabbits [16]. Studies have also demonstrated that astaxanthin can easily cross the BBB to protect the brain from acute injury and chronic neurodegeneration.ā€

The largest dose per capsule I have found is 24mg per capsule.

1 Like

Do we know the dose used in the lipid study?

1 Like